EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

BOP on this debate + Judging Resolution

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 1 2014 4:42 AM
There are two reasons why I don't hold the BOP on a resolution like this. First of all, North Korea striking isn't a confirmed or inevitable fact.
With that excluded, Pro still has the BOP to prove we should strike North Korea before they strike us , even if war is inevitable.
-----------------------------------------------------
To relate to this, I think there has been a lot of debate on how to properly judge. Yes, the BOP is important, but it isn't everything.
Classic debate organizations put primary emphasis on speaking, not "X proved his point over Y".

It isn't about who is right, as much as it is "who was more convincing".
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 1 2014 4:42 AM
http://www.edeb8.com/debate/secret-topic-29/
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 1 2014 4:46 AM
I'm most concerned on whether was is inevitable in this resolution.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 1 2014 11:31 AM
bump. Only a couple hours to have these questions answered.
admin
By admin | Nov 1 2014 11:46 AM
Blackflag: I don't usually like to give away specific lines of argumentation that I would use in an ongoing debate, but I will say this: you are free to challenge any assumptions made by pro, and that the way I understand debating, the idea of a shared BOP is logically impossible. Pro obviously has it in that debate.

I always judge the debate to the standard of who is more convincing.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 1 2014 3:20 PM
you are free to challenge any assumptions made by pro
I get that, but this is the resolution in specific. I have 8000 characters, I don't want to use them all arguing why the resolution doesn't say North Korea will strike as a fact.
admin
By admin | Nov 1 2014 3:27 PM
Blackflag: Remind me to explain this after the debate. There is a way around that.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 1 2014 3:30 PM
admin: Can you explain it now? I really could use the clarification.
I feel kind of stuck in a hole here.
admin
By admin | Nov 1 2014 3:32 PM
Blackflag: Uhh - this is where my reluctance to comment on ongoing debates comes into play.

Just - think about it like you're trying to convince a judge. Not like you're trying to convince him. If one side asserts things without evidence, the opposite can also be asserted without evidence.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 1 2014 3:35 PM
admin: The resolution seems like evidence though. "That the United States should strike before North Korea does", implies that a third person knows the event will happen for certain. Yet in real life, there is no evidence, and actually lots against the idea, that North Korea would attack.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Nov 1 2014 7:08 PM
Blackflag: I don't read it that way, it seems to argue that pre-emptive strike would be justified, not that a pre-emptive strike is needed now.

In the realms of military conflict, the general consensus seems to be that the instigator is usually in the wrong. This resolution seems to challenge that general rule when it comes to the US VS N Korea.

You're reading a timeframe into it which has not been mentioned.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 1 2014 10:25 PM
nzlockie: I determined in chat with another user that resolutions don't prove facts, and since their is no rule saying an attack is destined to happen, Pro must prove that himself.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 1 2014 10:26 PM
Blackflag: *there