EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Interesting Site Concept

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 23 2014 10:19 AM
Not going to name names, but an old user from DDO, a web developer, once began to create a website based around philosophy, but eventually evolved into something else. The original idea was to create a site where anyone could talk about any kind of philosophy they want, and the person the web developer was co-colaborating with, decided the site would be much cooler if site users could write intellectual essays on a variety of subjects/categories, much like the debate categories we have on edeb8.

This concept wasn't new, but the look, feel, and simpleness of the site, entirely dedicated to intellectual scholars and college students, was stunning Unfortunately the co-collaborator lost touch, and the project was abandoned.

I would be extremely amazed if we ever saw a site like this again, and maybe there's something with the concept, that we can learn from and apply here?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 23 2014 10:21 AM
Blackflag: bump
admin
By admin | Oct 23 2014 10:34 AM
Blackflag: Bump after only 2 minutes? Geez.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 23 2014 11:01 AM
admin: Once threads get buried on this site, they stay buried
admin
By admin | Oct 23 2014 11:14 AM
Blackflag: Hey Legion, why did you start a chat with me then almost immediately go offline?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Oct 23 2014 1:22 PM
Blackflag: So let me get this straight: it was a blog site?
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 23 2014 1:54 PM
admin: Not even close. I don't know how to best put it into words... The site had about a dozen topics (religion, philosophy, science, ect.) you could choose from on the right hand bar. Each topic would take you to the same thing. A page with a set of 9 boxes, which could be selected. Members could open up a box, and begin to write in them, much like debates here. Once they finished, they could publish their work, and it would show up on the topic page, where others could comment under the publication.

The things that differentiated this site, was that...
A) It was for students, teachers, scholars, and experts only.
B) The site had a simple format. The only things you could do is publish works and comment on publications. A forum was in the making, but it was kept separate from the main site. You would access it in the same way you would access the blog here.
C) The site was designed for essays, and only for essays.

The reason I was devastated by the abandonment of that site, is because, while the site was only in its Alpha Stage, it contained everything a site could be expected to have. The design is simple and easy to maintain, there was a lot of interest in the product. and the idea had never been done before.

admin
By admin | Oct 23 2014 1:57 PM
Blackflag: Still sounds like a blog site where people published essays.

What were the 9 boxes?
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 23 2014 2:01 PM
I thought the idea was incredibly creative, simple, and intuitive. I think there's a large market of students who would like the platform that site was developing. Actually, I would go as far as to claim some students would PAY for a platform where they could write advanced intellectual essays and share them with an advanced intellectual community.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 23 2014 2:02 PM
admin: I can't show you the design, as the site is gone. It was nothing like a blog site. People didn't blog.
It was designed as an intellectual community. The web developers vision was to encourage members to make college level essays.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 23 2014 2:04 PM
admin: It was as much of a blog site as edeb8 is now. Edeb8 is actually way closer to a blog site, as the web-develop clearly stated he would keep social features at a minimum.
The boxes actually represented "papers", which is what the site called them instead of essay's. The box is pretty much the link to the paper.
admin
By admin | Oct 23 2014 3:09 PM
Blackflag: But what's to say a blog can't be college level intellectual?

Why 9 boxes exactly and not, say, 10? I guess I don't get it.
Let's revive the forums!