EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

The true cost of trolling on edeb8

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
admin
By admin | Oct 22 2014 10:21 AM
The biggest problem with trolls coming here making threats that I can't help (such as telling me to remove a DDO user even though I'm not a DDO moderator) is that it increases edeb8's bandwidth. Like, a lot. If you're making 200 forum threads, for example, that's 200 requests to the server where most ordinary people would have made 1, if any at all. The real harm of that is that when edeb8's bandwidth goes up:

1) the site slows down for other users
2) the site could become unavailable to some users
3) the site could become significantly more costly to run
4) the site could be taken offline for good

This is not a problem I have. I'm alright with removing the offending parties from the site, just a couple of SQL calls is all. What it is, is a community problem. We need to come up with a strategy for dealing with this.

Also, I'm thinking of banning signups with throwaway email addresses.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Oct 22 2014 10:30 AM
admin: Put this into perspective. This shows the growth in trolling on edeb8 in bandwidth terms.

I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 22 2014 10:44 AM
admin: Can you give me some background to what happened?
btw, the guy requesting Stalin gets banned here for something he did on DDO is absolutely ridiculous
Bolshevik-
By Bolshevik- | Oct 22 2014 11:07 AM
Blackflag: I had a war with trolls on DDO, a war that reached the point of spamming. The war also reached other sites. For example: http://www.gofundme.com/g26t10
Victory: http://www.edeb8.com/forum/Games/828
Bolshevik-
By Bolshevik- | Oct 22 2014 11:09 AM
Bolshevik-: I'm not sure how people like Bench can get away with this. Also, that's not the first gofundme fundraiser Imabench made about me. He made one titled: "Raise $100 to go tell STALIN to f*ck himself" or something like that. Fortunately that one got removed.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Oct 22 2014 11:54 AM
Bolshevik-: I would donate 50 dollars to the go f*ck himself one, alas, I don't have fifty dollars, or a credit card.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
Bolshevik-
By Bolshevik- | Oct 22 2014 11:56 AM
Pinkie: If you would seriously donate $50 to an idiot's fundraiser then you clearly don't have a life.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Oct 22 2014 12:08 PM
Bolshevik-: I don't have a life, you're right. :)
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Oct 22 2014 12:10 PM
Bolshevik-: I would donate 50 dollars to the go f*ck himself one, alas, I don't have fifty dollars, or a credit card.
Bolshevik-
By Bolshevik- | Oct 22 2014 12:10 PM
Pinkie: w/e...
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Oct 22 2014 12:11 PM
Bolshevik-: I don't have a life, you're right. :)
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Oct 22 2014 12:12 PM
I think I refreshed the page.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Oct 22 2014 12:18 PM
admin: I don't want edeb8 to get shut down. :( What do we do?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 22 2014 12:23 PM
If you're making 200 forum threads, for example, that's 200 requests to the server where most ordinary people would have made 1, if any at all. The real harm of that is that when edeb8's bandwidth goes up:
This is a better reason to limit forum creation
admin
By admin | Oct 22 2014 12:41 PM
Pinkie: I think so too.
Let's revive the forums!
Darth Vitiosus
By Darth Vitiosus | Oct 22 2014 2:24 PM
admin: What makes you think banning signups with throwaway email addresses would make them stop? If they are determined enough to put together a script to post 200 forum threads and troll the shoutbox they probably won't stop. You banned Tor users and lost one member of the site. Only to have the very person you intended to ban come here through a different anon network. Now the site lost one of the few people who post in the forums. Than all other trolling attempts have continued to succeed regardless of other preventative measures. The preventative measures only work on people who give up easily.
admin
By admin | Oct 22 2014 2:50 PM
Darth Vitiosus: Maybe it won't but I feel it's better than nothing. I made this thread to point out to people what's at stake here. I'd be very happy to hear alternate suggestions because the way it's going, the site can't continue.
Let's revive the forums!
Darth Vitiosus
By Darth Vitiosus | Oct 22 2014 9:06 PM
admin: It would seem professional help maybe more appropriate because I doubt majority of the people on EDEB8 know how to put together a script to post 200 forum threads(I do). It would be better to get professional help or someone experienced in stopping trolls from coming on to sites.
admin
By admin | Oct 22 2014 9:35 PM
Darth Vitiosus: I fear that would be more costly than just paying for more bandwidth.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Oct 22 2014 11:34 PM
Look, I think this situation is exactly the same as the playground bully.
We just have to ignore them. Eventually either, they'll get booted and go away or the site will close.

The other thing is that they may have a point. We need to stop attacking DDO. Live and let live, I say. Everybody agrees that both sites have strengths and weaknesses and most people agree that those things are complimentary rather than divisive.

I'm not suggesting we bow to external pressure to evict one of our own, but in this instance, I don't see why we should care if this Imabench guy is on another forum, honestly who cares? Why troll their forum to have him removed?

Page: 12Most Recent