EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Sweeping Old Debates

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 22 2014 6:32 AM
I feel bad looking at the list of recent debates, and seeing how many of them aren't real or ended in forfeits. IMO, it is a bad representation of this site, and I would like to promote a policy of sweeping these debates that end in forfeits, weren't conventional, ect.
My proposal is that we shouldn't outright eliminate them, but have the only way to get to them, through either a reference page or the link on one of the debater's profile page.

Another thing that has me frustrated is how good debates disappear among the clutter. I would like to start a featured debates forum, stickied in the main edeb8 subsection, if admin would be open to that idea.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 23 2014 12:04 PM
Blackflag: I'll link the debates that need sweeping when I get back to my desktop.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Sep 23 2014 12:11 PM
I'm generally a fan of this idea. I know we've made some slight tweaks to the system in the past to try and address this issue, and I feel they have worked, but it can't hurt to see if we can clean this up a bit more.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 23 2014 12:16 PM
nzlockie: I think bad debates should be sweeped and good debates immortalized.
It's all about finding the best way to do that.
admin
By admin | Sep 23 2014 2:52 PM
Rather than "sweeping" the debates, may I suggest something? How about replacing "Recent Debates" on the homepage with a "Featured Debates" box? Still keeping the forum concept of course.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Sep 23 2014 2:53 PM
admin: Also featured debates would show up in a different color on a user's profile and display some sort of visual indicator that they've been featured.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 23 2014 2:55 PM
admin: The sad thing is that even those featured debates will disappear
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 23 2014 2:55 PM
admin: Actually, that's a great idea.
admin
By admin | Sep 23 2014 2:57 PM
Blackflag: One day they will ... but then new awesome featured debates will take their place, as opposed to clutter ;) .
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 23 2014 3:07 PM
admin: Not willing to make a big forum about it, but I was talking to Romanii over chat about my frustration with the voting system again. (on DDO)
Have you thought about it lately, and how we can continue to improve it?
I know it has been a hot issue here, between me and the few other users, lol
admin
By admin | Sep 23 2014 3:11 PM
Blackflag: I think by and large I'm pretty happy with the voting on edeb8. There's a few things I'd like to try to tweak one day but they're not priorities. One thing I do think is that the system should give more incentive to take judge feedback seriously, and also to provide a very basic judging guide for the inexperienced.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 23 2014 3:16 PM
admin: I tried to take feedback more seriously on the Unlimited Characters debate.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 23 2014 3:21 PM
admin: I do find myself growing and becoming stronger as a debater. I think I can benefit from taking more time to prep my arguments.