EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

OFFICIAL FEATURE REQUEST THREAD

< Return to subforum
Page: 156789101116Most Recent
admin
By admin | Sep 12 2014 7:22 AM
Blackflag: Because there's no notification for judgement on your debates?

That's going on my feature list. I'll try to get a few more things done over the weekend.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 12 2014 7:23 AM
admin: What about on Favorited debates?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 12 2014 7:29 AM
I'm not sure which features are coming on Edeb8's birthday, but I think the things the site most needs are...
1. More members
2. A judging guide
3. A new, flexible, judging system
4. New formatting for debates (I like side by side arguments)
5. Greater social and community features (to keep people around more)
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Sep 12 2014 7:57 AM
As a site that relies on person to person interaction, I agree that more people is a bonus, however, I don't agree that we should introduce features to attract them here which are aimed at the social rather than debate.
At the moment the percentage of active members who actually debate is really high. These are the kind of people we want to attract and I believe they are attracted by a better site for debate rather than social things like Mafia.

Edeb8 private groups, each with their own shout box, should make a game of Mafia or fate really good. I don't think we need anything more than that.

I do agree that we could improve our seo, although as previously stated, I'd rather generate funds for that through donations or fees than advertising. Besides, the more intersite stuff we do, like this WODC, the less need there is for that.
Since I was pretty much out of the tourney anyway, I'm doing this little advertising debate on DDO... It's my hope that some of the more serious debates over the might see that we have a pretty spicky site for debate here now and come join us.

As I was writing this, I started thinking about edeb8 as more of a debate club. Most debate clubs have about 10-15 active members, which is what we have. Of they find that need new blood to debate against, they challenge another club. Maybe that's what we need to do.

nzlockie
By nzlockie | Sep 12 2014 7:59 AM
nzlockie: So many spelling mistakes. Naturally, I blame auto correct.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Sep 12 2014 8:05 AM
9spaceking: I request a forum topic "post your unvoted debates here".
my debate still needs voats!

Also, we have a judge button. I also plan to vote on your debate, since I check that button pretty regularly. I reckon if you want someone to vote on your debate, just leaving a message in the shout box ought to do it.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 12 2014 8:13 AM
nzlockie: What are your thoughts on allowing troll debates?
http://www.edeb8.com/debate/Be+As+Random+As+Possible/
admin
By admin | Sep 12 2014 8:15 AM
Blackflag: My thoughts: it comes extremely close to breaking this rule from our terms of use:
Content that is primarily for a purpose other than debating and/or for the participation in a healthy online community, such as... trolling others
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
sea_shell
By sea_shell | Sep 12 2014 8:16 AM
nzlockie: Edeb8 private groups, each with their own shout box, should make a game of Mafia or fate really good. I don't think we need anything more than that.
I posted on the godsquad shout box last week as a test, it disappeared unanswered. Maybe this would work more in groups that people actually go into?
I'm not sure if I trust anyone who doesn't have their face as their profile.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 12 2014 8:17 AM
admin: I personally think they should be removed, immediately
Forti Animo
By Forti Animo | Sep 12 2014 8:17 AM
Although I'm new, I'd still love to share my opinion.

As a site that relies on person to person interaction, I agree that more people is a bonus, however, I don't agree that we should introduce features to attract them here which are aimed at the social rather than debate. - nzlocke

As many know, DDO was the first debating site I joined. I found edeb8 by chance, while listening to Larz's interview with someone. I do agree that more people would be a bonus, and I think that's one reason why people don't stay on ebd8 for a while- when I asked, many said it was "too quiet." In contrast, I believe there are great members, who debate excellently, and it has way less drama than DDO.

deb8 private groups, each with their own shout box, should make a game of Mafia or fate really good. I don't think we need anything more than that. - nzlocke

Naturally, I joined because of the great features on edeb8. I believe a lot of people don't know about these.

I'd rather generate funds for that through donations or fees than advertising. Besides, the more intersite stuff we do, like this WODC, the less need there is for that.

As I was writing this, I started thinking about edeb8 as more of a debate club. Most debate clubs have about 10-15 active members, which is what we have. Of they find that need new blood to debate against, they challenge another club. Maybe that's what we need to do.

I actually really like this site, and the ability to cross examine on debates and what not. I think it just needs to puncture the internet a bit more so people know or hear about it, mainly debating clubs, as nzlocke said.

Maybe introducing the site to schools Larz?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 12 2014 8:20 AM
Forti Animo: Good points indeed. Agree with you on drama.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 12 2014 8:21 AM
Actually, I think troll debates should be allowed, as long as their purpose is still for debating.
I'm against debates that don't involve any debate.
admin
By admin | Sep 12 2014 8:30 AM
Forti Animo: Lots of people have suggested that with the schools.

The challenge is not just to convince them that edeb8 is great. That's self-evident. The challenge is the convince them to debate online at all. Even your average debate fanatic probably wouldn't do it online, and most kids are far from being that excited about debate. CreateDebate has done a lot of cool partnerships with schools by winning over teachers, but to do that they've had to make special classroom-areas set aside from the main site, which in my view defeats the purpose. Winning over kids and telling them to dedicate their time to something like debate is harder still. And that would be IF it was easy to reach out to schools at all. It's a bit weird when some random guy walks up to the school and is trying to entice kids to go to this random website the school administrators have never heard of.

(yes, I've tried, though probably not as hard as I could have, but still)

I put edeb8 on Reddit once and that generated a good deal of interest. Facebook groups have been generally less interested. I think it's a matter of figuring out where the right kind of young people hang out. And I'm starting to come to the conclusion that in this day and age, that place isn't necessarily schools.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 22 2014 12:36 AM
I would still really like quick debates to cap at 1000 characters.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 22 2014 12:43 AM
I have a request for a fix, more than a proposal.
There shouldn't be Cx on quick debates, but I found during our debate, we had trouble asking questions and also giving answers, as some naturally intertwined in those short spaces. Hell, I didn't even have time to include sources.

I think the only fix is to add html formatting so you can embed that stuff into the debate.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 22 2014 12:47 AM
A good categorization would be "edeb8" for debates about the site
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Sep 24 2014 2:47 PM
Quick little minor request - would it be possible to be able to construct an argument while it is not your turn to post?
ie. You can start putting it together but the submit button doesn't activate until it's your turn to post?

Currently I have an open document on Word that I put all the bones of my argument on. Then once it's my turn to post, I transfer it onto Edeb8 and flesh it out there. It'd be a little easier if I could just do the whole lot on Edeb8 instead...

No biggie though.
admin
By admin | Sep 25 2014 5:38 PM
Blackflag: Added "edeb8" category, added more quick debate character options (up to 900) and made the default 500 instead of 300.

Problem with html formatting is it's too easy to exploit. Adding a picture would usually be worth 1000 words in those debates.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Sep 26 2014 11:49 PM
OK, I've been thinking about this for some time, and reading the stuff in the shoutbox about csareo wanting to have an alternate account and what not, got me thinking that note is the time to bring it up.

Would it be possible to set up and conduct a debate where the actual identity of the debaters was hidden until after voting had concluded?

I think that could be cool although the reason I haven't brought it up till now is that if guys that with the membership such as it is, we could probably guess the identities pretty easily...

What do think? Is it even possible? Worth trying?
Page: 12345678910111213141516Most Recent