EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

OFFICIAL FEATURE REQUEST THREAD

< Return to subforum
Page: 1345678916Most Recent
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 30 2014 4:28 PM
admin: I think edeb8 needs a new hook or something. There will never be polls or opinions like in debate.org, but the marketing strategy for debate.org was solid.
Juggle stated that opinions and polls existed to soften members into the community, as many expressed being uncomfortable getting into debates right away. Lots of users would reportedly sign up and never do anything on the site. That appears to be happening here. To attract new members, I feel there should be a gateway.

One thing I like about naqesheny, is how involved the community is the community debates.
People can post both light and heavy arguments, and users can interact with the debate immediately.
I think edeb8 could use something like community debates.

It doesn't have to be extremely complicated. Just post a topic each week, and users can make arguments for both sides of the topic.
Seems like an easy thing to applicate and a good gateway to keep new users from leaving the site.

Debate.org utilized a long term internet strategy, that I call, the "notification drug".
It has been tried successfully in facebook, twitter, and many other sites.
People will log in constantly if they know that notifications will await when they return.
Not sure what you think about that, but that might be useful information.
admin
By admin | Aug 30 2014 4:30 PM
Blackflag: In other words, literally none of the forums that exist right now.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Aug 30 2014 4:30 PM
Blackflag: I want more feedback on this stuff from other people.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 30 2014 4:37 PM
admin: Okay, so what if it is? Isn't the point to have less clutter?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 30 2014 4:39 PM
admin: Me and NZlockie might be all you're getting :(
You can't expect users to come to the site just to help you build it to their tastes.
The simple fact, is that you need to design the site yourself before others will come and give you feedback.

There simply isn't the userbase for that kind of feedback, and I think the userbase won't grow until the site does.
admin
By admin | Aug 30 2014 4:42 PM
Blackflag: I get that, which is why occasionally you find I make features that have not been suggested by the userbase.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Aug 30 2014 4:44 PM
Blackflag: Yes, I just don't see the forums we have right now not being valuable. I think "Science" could probably be safely merged with "Society" but other than that it seems ok.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 30 2014 4:46 PM
admin: I'm just not sure of what feedback you're expecting.
You can only get so many users with so little advertising.

Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 30 2014 4:47 PM
Okay, last idea, what if debates could be represented by a picture?
This idea was floated to juggle constantly, but they don't do shit.
admin
By admin | Aug 30 2014 5:25 PM
Blackflag: What sort of picture? You have me intrigued.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 30 2014 7:18 PM
admin: The debate creator is prompted to choose a picture when creating the debate. The icon is supposed to represent the debate. Just as our profile picture represents our profile.
admin
By admin | Aug 30 2014 8:18 PM
Blackflag: Interesting thought. I'm not sure where I would display the picture but I'll think about it.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 31 2014 5:34 AM
admin: Not really my thought. There were a bunch of pushers on DDO.
The picture, like my profile, would show up right next to the debate title.
I guess you would also see it at the top of the page when you start a debate.

Okay, I had one more idea, but I'm not totally sure how it would work since you already brought up concerns with making your debate.php file.
?resize=640%2C327
As I brought up earlier with the video formatting, what if each opponents round submission showed up side by side as well?
admin
By admin | Aug 31 2014 10:46 AM
Blackflag: Yeah, you could do that because it's not really structure, just presentation. It's changing the structure of debates that's hard.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 5 2014 2:35 PM
Add a referral option in the sign ups. If that can be done, that would be great.
admin
By admin | Sep 5 2014 2:38 PM
Blackflag: What is that?
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 5 2014 2:52 PM
admin: When someone joins they refer to the person who sent them. It can encourage increased membership.
admin
By admin | Sep 5 2014 2:54 PM
Blackflag: And what does that mean? Say I refer somebody, and then that somebody says they referred me. So what's the benefit?
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 5 2014 2:55 PM
admin: It is a honorary number, but you could work on some benefit.
9spaceking
By 9spaceking | Sep 6 2014 9:25 AM
Blackflag: sounds cool
Master of awesomeness
Page: 12345678910111213141516Most Recent