EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

OFFICIAL FEATURE REQUEST THREAD

< Return to subforum
Page: 123456716Most Recent
admin
By admin | Aug 11 2014 5:59 PM
Blackflag: I know. The reason why I try to show the other side of the coin here is because I'm interested in what other people think. The more buy-in an idea has, the more likely it is I'll do it. So don't take that as an outright rejection of the idea, more like an invitation for other people to step in an say "no, it's better than a comment because...". And then when it's implemented we'll have an awesome rational for it to boot.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 18 2014 8:52 PM
I [quote]DEMAND[/quote] a quoting format.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 19 2014 9:38 AM
Can you lower the prep time on secret topics to a maximum of one day?
admin
By admin | Aug 19 2014 7:31 PM
Blackflag: For the forums?

How should quotes appear? Just indented? Should they be collapseable?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Aug 19 2014 7:31 PM
Blackflag: What do others think about this?
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 19 2014 8:12 PM
admin: No, quotes should be boxed. Like this

Boxing text makes replying in forums and debates a lot easier.
BBcode should look like this [quote=admin]please add quotes[/quote]
At least that is the format on Vbulletin 2.0
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 19 2014 8:14 PM
admin: I'm not sure, but I found it annoying that all the secret debates have high prep times.
I'm not opposed to prep times, but they aren't an extremely popular feature it seems, and it can be annoying knowing that you have to both wait for someone to accept a debate, and an additional two days after.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 19 2014 8:16 PM
No joke, the quoting is something I would really like to see on debates.
Or some way to clearly box someone else's text.

admin
By admin | Aug 19 2014 11:16 PM
Blackflag: In debates I'd say it's not appropriate. Debates are not a conversation. For forums I'll consider it.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 20 2014 7:54 AM
admin: I get what you're saying. debates are supposed to look like speeches.
Unfortunately, these are written debates, and not speaking debates, so I'm not sure realism should be replaced with utillity.
admin
By admin | Aug 24 2014 5:49 PM
testing quoting

So anyway, how's everybody doing?
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Aug 24 2014 6:00 PM
Alright, the quoting format (for the forums only) is:

[ quote ] to start a quote (ignore the spaces)
[ /quote ] to end a quote (ignore the spaces)

PLEASE don't make long quote threads like DDO has. This is the entire point of the sophisticated reply mechanism already built into the site.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 24 2014 6:04 PM
admin: Agreed, I hate those threads on DDO.
admin
By admin | Aug 24 2014 6:09 PM
Blackflag: Removed some of the very long ones.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Aug 24 2014 6:31 PM
Blackflag: There is now a link on the main forum page :)
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 27 2014 8:20 AM
sweet
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 27 2014 8:54 AM
[quote=The Voting Bot]Would never work
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 27 2014 9:09 AM
Blackflag: I think there is an easy fix to the judging problem. Judges are presented with a blank text box, which is hard to organize thoughts with,
What if there was a more comprehensive judging system, that guides the judge through the criteria needed to make a fair decision.

I'm pretty sure you taught debate (lars), so I'm not sure of the exact criteria, but generally the point is to be convincing.
Something I liked about DDO's judging system, is that it asked to be scored in different areas.
What I didn't like.......... the things that were worth points were often used as flexible vote bombs.
We all know about the friend voting on Debate.org.

This PDF shows a judging card divided into four panels...
1. Argumentation
2. Refutation
3. Structure
4. Presentation

I strongly feel that Edebate could use a similar structure.
{- Who had better argumentation (and why) +1 point
- Who had better refutation (and why) +1 point
- Who had better structure (and why) +1 point
- Who had better presentation (and why) +1 point }
Above must be filled out for decision to count
- Debate Comments (gives weight to decision) +1 point
- Feedback +1 point

As a side note, I don't think the above categories are perfect, but I think more votes would happen if the judges votes were broken into handy (who accomplished this better X or Y) decisions rather than judging an entire debate in one text box.
Another side note, I still don't get why feedback affects the vote :/
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 27 2014 9:09 AM
https://debate.uvm.edu/dcpdf/MSPDP.06.Judge.Instructions.And.Rubric.pdf
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 27 2014 9:26 AM
The problem is that the judges aren't trained to make formal decisions. A lot of the time they vote on who is correct, or sounds more right, rather than who was the most convincing. That point needs to be stressed a lot here. A couple of things on here have high potential. Especially the "vote rating". Establishing a long term judging pool could be very helpful.

10-39% vote rating: Decisions must be...
A. Moderated
B. Be given 2-3 "good vote" ratings
space :)
40-69% vote rating: Decisions are normal
space :)
70-100% vote rating: : Decisions are marked in purple (to promote quality voting) and carry more weight.

There is no sense of punishment for bad voting, nor is there any feeling of reward. My advice..........
A. Mark decisions made by good judges in a special color (besides the default white)
B. Restrict bad judges from making decisions (until they meet certain criteria)
Page: 12345678910111213141516Most Recent