EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

OFFICIAL FEATURE REQUEST THREAD

< Return to subforum
Page: 12345616Most Recent
admin
By admin | Aug 8 2014 8:33 AM
Pinkie: No.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 8 2014 8:35 AM
admin: I like the fact there are unrated ones mixed in there.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 8 2014 8:35 AM
admin: So some of them turn out rated? All the one's on the debate page are unrated. This brings up another great point. Once you create a debate, you can't go back and edit it. The debate instigator should have the option of editing his debate without having to restart it. It would also help when a rule on the random debates needs to be edited.

For example, that madrassa debate. I really wanted to take that one, but it was in video format, and I don't have a microphone.
admin
By admin | Aug 8 2014 9:16 AM
Blackflag: Nope, not all the ones on the debate page are unrated. Prostitution is the one that isn't. In fact I can quote you the exact line of PHP code I use:

$useratings = rand(0,1);

So there's a 50% chance no rating will be used (0), and a 50% chance they will be used (1).

As for the debate instigator editing the debate, it's another one of those things (like the both sides agreeing to finish cx early thing) that seems simple but has unforseen complications. For example, does every team member of an instigating team have the right to edit the debate? In a 4-way debate, can you edit it if somebody else has already signed up? Would editing the debate reset the 3-day waiting period for challengers? Basically there's a lot of things the system would need to check.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 8 2014 10:56 AM
1000 character max for quick debates with HTML formatting. Possibly cross examination. I like how you can do 10 short rounds, so good job on that.
admin
By admin | Aug 8 2014 11:16 AM
Blackflag: Doesn't it defeat the point of quick debates if they can be as long as a regular debate?
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 8 2014 11:19 AM
admin: 1000 characters isn't that long. 500 was really hard to fit anything meaningful into though.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 8 2014 12:52 PM
Email updates.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 8 2014 12:53 PM
Pinkie: I sent that early, I meant to say, Email updates for debates. So that you know when other people's debates are done and have a new round.
admin
By admin | Aug 8 2014 12:55 PM
Pinkie: That already exists. Just favorite the debate (click on the icon that looks like a grey thumbs up, by the social stuff) and make sure, in your settings, you've agreed to get email updates on your favorite debates.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 8 2014 12:58 PM
admin: Wow, that's smart of me. Thanks admin.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 11 2014 2:28 PM
Should there be an easier way to get to the resource section? Besides having to type in the link?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 11 2014 2:33 PM
I got to thinking, the debate page generates random debate topics every couple of days. What if the same thing was done with forums?
Some of the sections here go a week without posting. What if their was a code that generated a new topic every time a section goes three days without posting?

The only problem is that it would require bots. I don't think Lars utilizes those.
admin
By admin | Aug 11 2014 3:42 PM
Blackflag: "What if their was a code that generated a new topic every time a section goes three days without posting?"

Could you describe in more detail what an automated forum post would look like? Like, what would it actually contain?
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 11 2014 4:06 PM
admin: 1) You create the random debates, right?
2) A topic, such as "European development". There would be no OP. People would just post off the topic.
admin
By admin | Aug 11 2014 4:07 PM
Blackflag: Yeah but random debates are based off a predefined list. If I had a predefined list of topics I might as well just post the topics now.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 11 2014 4:10 PM
admin: That was pretty much the point. You have a pre-defined list of topics that randomly create themselves every couple days :)
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 11 2014 5:51 PM
admin: Great idea. I have read about 5 debates that weren't in the voting period, and was disappointed that I could no longer express my views on who won. Is it possible to add a feature that allows votes with no value after the debate?
admin
By admin | Aug 11 2014 5:53 PM
Blackflag: Wouldn't that pretty much just be a comment though? I can see this as being potentially confusing for people new to edeb8's voting system, which is already pretty complicated compared to the rest of the major debate sites.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 11 2014 5:55 PM
admin: ............................ :(
That's whats good about edeb8. It has an array of features for mainstream debating.
Page: 12345678910111213141516Most Recent