EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Charity Quest

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | May 3 2014 12:37 PM
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | May 3 2014 12:38 PM
"I also include provisions for " at the top - meant to say "provisions for a committee to help run the site, rather than it just being me".
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 3 2014 1:56 PM
admin: Looks good on the whole.

I'd add something in the "things the organisation is NOT empowered to do" section to say something along the lines of...

"b) Use funds to support projects outside of www.edeb8.com"

I realise you've alluded to this already but it would be a nice safeguard to ensure that all funds accrued would be going specifically towards THIS project and not other sideline ones. At the moment there's nothing in these rules to prohibit that, and in fact, 3.1(b) actually creates a little loophole where funds COULD be exploited if a link could be made. (eg. "I need this money to put into this other site because it will generate my income and allow me to keep developing edeb8." )

The only other change I'd suggest is something to do with what it takes to get the rules changed. 7.3 requires a majority YES. This is probably going to be hard to get. At the moment you'd need an affirmative result from 82 members to get the rules changed.
I'd suggest ammending it to give the power to the organisation directly as long as there is a consultation process.
It's not a perfect system and would never fly in the corporate world, but for a social networking site, I think it makes more sense to go with an honour system that will allow changes to be made quickly rather than getting bogged down in red tape.
Worst case, if the board goes crazy and starts doing crazy things despite the member's objections, the members will vote with their feet. (or fingers as the case may be)
admin
By admin | May 3 2014 2:24 PM
nzlockie: Thanks!

I should probably clarify that site member is different from organisation member. As I noted edeb8 can only have 10 members at any one time. 10x YES or NO would be more realistic. ;)

I also get your point about the 3.1(b) loophole. Section 4.4 should prevent that specific problem from being an issue but that only comes into effect when there are two or more members (which I hope there will be). Mostly the purpose was to be able to stick the money in a bank account if I knew it had to be spent later but not right now. I'll amend the following to 3.1(b :(

"No such investment may be in any organisation owned by (in whole or in part), or operated by (as an executive, employee, or other worker), any member or by anyone associated with a member, at the time the investment is made. All appropriate investments should be judged to deliver a reliable rate of return, and should not conflict with the charitable aims of the organisation. The investment must be used only to support a project of the organisation, and can not be invested for a longer term than one year at a time."

I'm avoiding using the domain name because technically, for example, a mobile app wouldn't come under such a domain.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | May 9 2014 6:09 AM
What do the members do?
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
admin
By admin | May 9 2014 10:42 AM
Pinkie: Make important decisions whenever they come up.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | May 9 2014 7:07 PM
admin: Like what?
admin
By admin | May 9 2014 7:08 PM
Pinkie: Like "should edeb8 invest donor funds into video debates", for example.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | May 9 2014 7:09 PM
admin: Oh. Okay.