EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Rules for random debates

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Apr 22 2014 2:31 PM
So I'm creating a set of standard rules for random debates. Just before I link them to the additional rules section of every random debate, let me know what you think of them, and whether something's missing:

http://www.edeb8.com/resources/General+rules+for+random+debates
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Apr 22 2014 4:10 PM
admin: Hmmm, I question the need for these rules, but not very loudly. I see the sense in them, I only question it because I think adding more text may make things look a bit intimidating and I haven't noticed any breach of these rules significant enough to need them to be actually stated.

THAT being said:
1) The Definitions rule - It might be nice to have some sort of wiggle room in there. What do we do when there are different dictionary definitions? Is there a standard dictionary that debaters all use - maybe that could be added in there. Otherwise, maybe just some little disclaimer bit like, "Except by mutual consent... "

2) The images one was a little unclear to me. When I first read it I thought you were removing the ability to use images and hyperlinks! On the second reading, I realise what you meant, but I think that bit might be a little unclear. I'd probably ditch it and take my chances that nobody thinks to do that. We can always add it back in if it becomes a problem.
admin
By admin | Apr 23 2014 9:31 AM
nzlockie: Cheers.

Anyone else? I'll put up the final version of the rules in a day or so, so please voice stuff now! :)
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Apr 26 2014 11:10 AM
admin: Alright then, this is going up in an update later today.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | May 9 2014 7:57 AM
admin: Okay.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.