EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Welcome imports from other debating sites!

< Return to subforum
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 17 2014 10:32 AM
Wow - busy day on Edeb8!

Just some tips for people familiar with posting debates on other sites, Edeb8 has a few differences - we think of them as "improvements"

Starting a new debate:
there's a button called "Start a new debate". That's how kiwis name stuff. Island in the North? Let's call it "North Island". Island in the south? "South Island". (Hey Stewart! What do you want to call your island?)
To start a new debate just click that button.

Setting rules and definitions for your debate - this is done from the Rules page. If you have specific definitions and rules you want to set, put them here so everyone can see them. This leaves the first round free for actual debating as nobody is going to accept the debate unless they're ok with the rules.

Reply speeches:
In debates, someone always has to go first. This sometimes gives the other side an advantage as they'll have the last word in every round. A reply speech is an extra round at the end of your debate. The order is reversed so CON will go first. The role of this round is just to summarize your total case. Make it good because lazy judges might just read this round. You also should know that you'll only get half the character allowance for this round because people are getting bored and nobody likes endless repetition.

Quick debates:
These are very short fast twitter style debates. You only get a small number of characters and there's no formatting or images allowed. Best suited for "Goku/Batman is better than [insert name here]" type debates.

Video debates:
We haven't had a proper one of these yet, and I'm keen to see one. You should be the first.

Cross Examination Rounds:
This is another new feature we haven't actually seen in action yet. It will basically be a free round between your normal rounds where opponents can quiz each other on individual points in a quick fire manner. Should be interesting. You should chuck it in there and see how it works.

Secret Topics:
These are fun. You don't get to see the topic until both sides accept. If you want to create a secret topic, just leave the subject line blank.

Walking away for a debate:
There's a button to "Leave the Debate". That's a classier way to handle it than just not turning up and having the timer forfeit you. Do that instead. Be aware that leaving a debate will result in that debate topic being deleted.

Judging:
judging is pretty self-explanatory. There's nothing worse than working hard on a boring debate about cell phones and having nobody judge you. Contesting sides love ANY feedback so get stuck in and get your judge on.

Admin has put a pretty comprehensive instruction manual to the quirky parts of the site in the "blog" part of the site. (Link at the bottom of the page) But any other questions are welcome here!

Thanks for coming by and welcome!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 18 2014 3:58 PM
nzlockie: Also, Rebekah tries to get the last post once a week, don't get in the way. :P
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 18 2014 5:00 PM
Pinkie: Correction: DO get in the way. Otherwise there's no challenge.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 19 2014 3:42 AM
nzlockie: True... But still don't :P
Khaos
By Khaos | Mar 19 2014 7:11 AM
Thanks, that explains a lot.
Can't beat my, can't beat my...Brooklyn Rage
I don't want to be a furry.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 19 2014 8:37 AM
Khaos: No problem.