EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

About the downtime today...

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Jul 8 2017 10:54 PM
What happened?
The web host decided to "upgrade" my server to another machine. In the process this broke a lot of stuff. He was also using an older database backup. Apparently the server is getting under high load sometimes but I doubt edeb8 is the cause of this.

How was it resolved?
My host was fairly co-operative and we found a better backup. I installed a shim to allow the code to work across database versions, and he rolled back the code changes to allow my old code to work anyway. After installing the backup I believe everything is working normally again. We are continuing to monitor the cause of the high load on the server. If it turns out any part of edeb8 is responsible then of course I will fix it ASAP.

Plans to stop this happening again
The goal is going to be to migrate all of edeb8 on to a VPS by this time next year. It's a big undertaking and a lot more expensive but I'll give it a shot. This will also make the site much faster and more stable.

Sorry for all the trouble!

This affects my debate!
I am happy to manually grant time extensions. In the case of a debate you should be able to request a time extension manually too.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Jul 8 2017 11:02 PM
test
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Jul 8 2017 11:06 PM
Also, sorted out a timezone issue with the server move
Let's revive the forums!
Subutai
By Subutai | Jul 9 2017 3:33 AM
Yeah I forfeited a debate during the downtime because I was unable to access the site to post my argument. Is there some way you can either reset the debate or delete it so that we can redo it?
admin
By admin | Jul 9 2017 6:51 AM
Subutai: Yes - will get on to that after school today.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Jul 10 2017 1:03 AM
Subutai: Done.

Am working on fixing debate format bugs this stupid and un-needed change introduced especially as pertains to how speech marks are displayed. Again sorry. Wish I could do more to fix it.
Let's revive the forums!
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jul 14 2017 1:25 AM
admin: Glad to see it's back up and running!
admin
By admin | Jul 14 2017 2:02 AM
dsjpk5: Still fixing everyone's profiles. :)
Thumbs up from:
Let's revive the forums!