EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Is the site being given up on?

< Return to subforum
Crow
By Crow | Jul 9 2016 11:36 PM
I have been dissatisfied with the direction of the site for quite awhile, but I am getting the feeling that the motivation to work on the site is going to come to a complete halt. I remember being very optimistic about things a year ago when admin was experimenting with the site design.

It is obvious that there is a comical lack of activity here. I would like for admin to go back to the basics, and rework a lot of the site from the ground up. If that is not going to happen though, then maybe it is for the best that the site is abandoned.
The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
Crow
By Crow | Jul 9 2016 11:43 PM
I also believe the site would do better just to strip down incredibly on social features, and only be about debating.

Less is more, and simply having debating features would actually attract long term members. It is impossible to explain this to admin though, so I just feel the site is going to stay dead regardless of any changes.

Reviewing the actual changes going to happen in the feature tracker, it does not seem like there are any major changes planned. To me, this is interpreted as becoming complacent. Is this just complacency by admin?

admin
By admin | Jul 10 2016 1:18 AM
Crow: No comment ... yet.

But please look back on this in about uhm, 1-2 weeks and tell me again I've been complacent.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Wylted
By Wylted | Jul 10 2016 1:31 AM
The design is not as smooth as it could be. I think a smooth design is the only thing holding it back.

Recruiting members once is as easy joining 100 debate type facebook groups and creating a group, and filling it up with members from those groups and advertising this site in inoffensive ways.

Marketing is simple, even if it is hard
Crow
By Crow | Jul 10 2016 1:50 AM
admin: I doubt anyone really has faith after two years that you are going to do anything major with the site.

The things that have been added recently have made the site worst.

I personally would like to hear what you are planning.
admin
By admin | Jul 10 2016 1:53 AM
Crow: I won't do anything major with the site. I'm planning on implementing a rather large new feature.

*ducks before you complain*
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Crow
By Crow | Jul 10 2016 1:57 AM
admin: You have been destroying a good thing for quite awhile.

The site isn't functional. If you want detailed judgements or a pool of different debaters to challenge, you wont find them here.

Advertising or piling on features isn't going to change anything without fundamental core changes.
admin
By admin | Jul 10 2016 2:07 AM
Crow: Glad I ducked. If you have great ideas for how to achieve those things you can:
a) make a suggestion & get people to vote for it
b) try to convince me on your idea*
c) start your own debate site like I did

*(rarely works because I respect broad user opinion and because I of course have my own vision for the site that may be different from yours)
Let's revive the forums!
Crow
By Crow | Jul 10 2016 2:08 AM
Wylted: Recruiting members once is as easy joining 100 debate type facebook groups and creating a group, and filling it up with members from those groups and advertising this site in inoffensive ways.

Not the problem. The site has had plenty of traffic and even periods of relatively above-shit activity. There have been quite a few debates that get hundreds of outside views if I heard admin correctly.

The real problem is that the site is unable to retain users. We have a dozen people who pop in a couple times a year, but their activity is worthless. The debating function is broken without fully commited debaters and dedicated judges.

Crow
By Crow | Jul 10 2016 2:11 AM
Glad I ducked. If you have great ideas for how to achieve those things you can:
a) make a suggestion & get people to vote for it
b) try to convince me on your idea*
c) start your own debate site like I did

*(rarely works because I respect broad user opinion and because I of course have my own vision for the site that may be different from yours)

The shoddy populism argument is tiring. You ONLY have two fully committed members, and you listen to everybody but.

It is impossible to convince you to change, because...

1. You have no motivation to change
2. You are too stubborn and unwilling to take criticism to make major changes

Your vision is irrelevant as long as the debating aspect of the site remains completely broken due to a lack of members.