EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Re-evaluating the feedback point

< Return to subforum
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 30 2016 7:28 PM
This needs to be recosidered. I judged a debate today, and was upset that adding feedback gave the side I voted for an extra point. I almost want to delete my feedback because of it, because I don't believe that person actually deserves an extra point just because I tried to give advice to both debaters.
admin
By admin | May 31 2016 1:55 AM
Priest of Swag: The reason it exists is to encourage judges to leave helpful feedback. Can you think of a better incentive?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 31 2016 2:44 AM
admin: Not really, but that shouldn't justify an incentive that unfairly gives points to one side for doing nothing. Right not I am thinking about not giving feedback anymore, and am not incentivized at all by some other guy getting an extra point on one of his debates.

I believe the feedback thingy would be used just as much without the extra point, and no one would accuse the judging of being unfair either.

admin
By admin | May 31 2016 2:49 AM
Priest of Swag: The aim is to get poor judges who might not be so familiar with the judging process up to speed with what is required. Starting out with learning how to choose a winner, then learning how to do a good justification, then learning to give good feedback. To judges like you or me it definitely has little relevance, but to a few it does.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 31 2016 2:53 AM
admin: The point isn't much of a reward. If you are dead set on making incentives, then do some kind of badge or something, and signify that adding feedback contributes to badge progress. IDK exactly what you should do, but I know for sure that the unfair extra point is bad.

I have three unvoted feature requests btw, so it would also be nice if there was away to make new requests visible in a place with a bit more traffic. Just saying that, because you were hassling me before about putting requests on that page.
admin
By admin | May 31 2016 3:19 AM
Priest of Swag: People often check it after threads are made. I'm glad you did :)
Let's revive the forums!