EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

WODC

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | May 15 2016 7:42 PM
It's the time of year where we start planning this.

What would you like to see in this year's WODC?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bifurcations
By Bifurcations | May 15 2016 9:30 PM
Never been involved in one before however I have seen a few debates done on some really bizzare motions. How about the use of actual worlds motions for the comp?
admin
By admin | May 15 2016 9:51 PM
Bifurcations: Which ones were bizarre?

In the 2014 comp we let debaters choose their own motions so maybe that was why.

The 2015 comp, whiteflame and I got together (as co-chief judges) and drafted a list of motions that we thought were worlds-quality, and let debaters do an Australs elimination on them. Didn't think any of those were too bad.

I guess my problem with copying the worlds motions is that debaters know them in advance, making it effectively a prepared tournament. That might be an idea to try but I think the Australs eliminations worked well last time, and a lot of debaters don't like prepared stuff as much as stuff that has relatively limited prep.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bifurcations
By Bifurcations | May 15 2016 9:58 PM
admin: Probably the 2014 ones, I'll have a look for them and post the ones I find.

What is Australs elimination?
admin
By admin | May 15 2016 10:03 PM
Bifurcations: You're given 3 possible options for topics at the start of the round. Secretly, you rank them 1,2,3, in order from the one you most want to do to least want to do.
The number 3 option is vetoed, so you never do that one. If you and your opponent pick a different #3, the remaining topic is debated.
If you pick the same number 3 and the same number 1, you do the #1 that you both wanted to do.
And if you have the same number 3 and a different number 1, the computer does a coin toss for you between your 1 and 2.
Let's revive the forums!
Bifurcations
By Bifurcations | May 15 2016 10:06 PM
admin: Sounds excellent for this comp :)

Trying to look out the 2014 debates but I don't think they are headlined as tournament debates :(
admin
By admin | May 20 2016 4:59 PM
Well DDO seems to be showing no interest in putting up a CA so it seems like it will be just me again : Oh well.
Let's revive the forums!
Bifurcations
By Bifurcations | May 21 2016 8:14 AM
admin: :( oh well,
When do you think you will open Reg?
admin
By admin | May 21 2016 1:12 PM
Bifurcations: A few weeks from now. I'll be trying a shorter rego period.
Thumbs up from:
Let's revive the forums!
jerrh
By jerrh | May 23 2016 3:52 AM
admin: Maybe we can randomly assign participants motions.
admin
By admin | May 23 2016 2:53 PM
jerrh: Maybe, but people whine about "biased" topics.
Let's revive the forums!