EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Judging: How should it be done?

< Return to subforum
Page: 123Most Recent
admin
By admin | Apr 19 2016 2:11 PM
I LOVE what's going on in this thread BTW, great to see this kind of level of discourse on the topic. Seems not so long ago that I was really struggling to convince another website that people should not take personal biases into account when judging (then thought legitimate) or that good debate analysis could rarely be conducted within 500 characters (then thought ordinary). Times have certainly changed and that's great, and I guess it's on edeb8 to keep up with those changes.

I've been hearing all your suggestions and while I've been challenging them sometimes I take them all onboard. I have an idea in my mind that I think people will like ;) I think I might announce it on the first edeb8 podcast or something.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Apr 19 2016 2:17 PM
admin: Sweet! I hope you consider what I've said, too. :)

Oh, cool. I'll have to tell donald.keller about it... ;P
"Man is not free unless government is limited" -- Ronald Reagan
Topics: http://tinyurl.com/oh9tm6u
admin
By admin | Apr 19 2016 2:29 PM
ColeTrain: Yes -- and by the way, your point (2) already exists :P
But it's heartening to read that sort of thing because I'm sensing a lot of common themes here, and so hopefully we can build on those.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Apr 19 2016 3:02 PM
admin: Ah, okay. Hm. I guess it either wasn't available at the time of my last debate (which, coincidentally, was with you), or I glanced over it. Regardless, that is an improvement upon my earlier perception. :P

Great! :)
Tejretics
By Tejretics | Apr 22 2016 3:32 PM
admin: What if, in a hypothetical situation, two people judge and it's 1-1? Same issue. But whatever, I really am not even arguing that edeb8 should adopt such a feature -because, frankly, I don't care. I don't care because DDO has that feature, and it's the reason I'm almost never on edeb8.
I'm attempting to be #1 Judge and #1 forum poster here.
admin
By admin | Apr 22 2016 5:32 PM
Tejretics: Aff wins. Interesting that you consider draws a "feature", especially one that convinces you to not be part of a site. Oh well, maybe one day people will suggest it on the feature request thing.
Let's revive the forums!
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Apr 25 2016 10:03 AM
admin: Why does Aff win by default?

I think the reason he supports a draw as a "feature" is because arbitrarily awarding Aff the win in such a scenario is not reflective of who did better. I think most people who are intellectually honest would rather there be a draw than having a system that autocratically presumes a winner, regardless of who that is.
admin
By admin | Apr 26 2016 2:03 PM
ColeTrain: Fine, since nobody else is doing it, check the features and bugs section
Let's revive the forums!
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Apr 26 2016 2:46 PM
admin: Oh, did you want me to suggest it? Sorry :/
Tejretics
By Tejretics | Apr 30 2016 3:52 AM
admin: "Draws" aren't a feature. Voting standards to prevent vote bombs are a feature.
Tejretics
By Tejretics | Apr 30 2016 3:55 AM
admin: I'll also note that if Aff wins in such a scenario, let Aff win in a 0-0 scenario as well...because last I checked, there ARE unvoted debates...if there's one bad vote and nobody else votes, it's a 0-0 since that vote would be removed.
Page: 123Most Recent