EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Judging Test Debate

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Jan 25 2016 12:07 AM
Near the start of February, the update for the new badges will launch, and edeb8 will see its first ever judging test!

Here's how it works:
> I will post a debate - arguing both sides (it's carefully scripted, but designed to be decent-quality in its own right)
> All you people have a go at judging it
> *Everyone* gets helpful feedback on their judging, with an in-depth analysis sent to you via PM
> The best judges get a special badge and become "accredited"

I only plan on holding one of these every year, and this one is the very first, so it's a unique opportunity! Accredited judges add one extra point to all their judgements, and you will have 2 weeks to think about your judgment.

Some notes:
> You will not face any penalty for picking the "wrong" winner, or whether I actually agree with you - only your justifications and feedback
> I will be looking for 3 basic elements:
> > Did you cover all the most important arguments in the debate?
> > Did you provide justified reasoning as to why some points were better than others?
> > Did you provide constructive feedback to both sides?
> Summarize key arguments when they are similar - do not just repeat the arguments raised in the debate.
> A judgment should be well-written, like a debate round. It should be fairly straightforward and free of major spelling/grammar mistakes.
> The longest judgments are not necessarily the best.
> If you have trouble with judging, consider taking a look at my judging guide on the resources section.

I can promise that it will be a fun debate to get involved in! Who's pumped to give it a shot?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jan 25 2016 5:36 AM
admin: This is a REALLY good idea. Nice work!