EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Your opinion on debate.org ? rant

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
RXR.
By RXR. | Apr 16 2015 12:52 PM
Hey guys, i want to hear your opinion on debate.org. In my opinion, it's better than edeb8 but i got banned from the website and had my ip blocked. Just because of multi-accounting. The head moderater (airmax) banned me without warning. I sent him 10 messages for my account back but never responded. Anyways my debate.org acount name is RXR. Record is 11 wins and 3 loses, 11 ties. Anyways i am enjoying edeb8 so far, has some nice features . so anyways i wanna here your thoughts
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 16 2015 12:56 PM
RXR.: We generally here that Edeb8 has more to offer, but the smaller userbase makes it less exciting than the 8 year debate.org.
RXR.
By RXR. | Apr 16 2015 12:58 PM
Blackflag: Seriously is there anyone even in this website ? This site probably has the smallest userbase in debate sites.
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 16 2015 1:01 PM
RXR.: There are about 20 active members. One thing most members like about this site is how only members who take the debating portion of the site most seriously stick around. It isn't for everybody, but I prefer our tight knit community of talented debaters over a larger community with many chaotic elements.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 16 2015 1:03 PM
I think we get about 8 new members each week. About 2 of every 8 will stick around. Probably one of the 6 people who stick around each month will become a permanent active member. The other 5 will pop their heads in every once in awhile.
admin
By admin | Apr 16 2015 1:55 PM
RXR.: I was on DDO for years before making Edeb8. Edeb8 is more like the kind of site I think DDO should have been. Less focus on maximizing the number of users and drama, more focus on fun and debating! I will note multi-accounting is strongly banned here too, but I tend to give everyone chances to explain themselves.

Not too bad a record you have there - I reckon you should challenge Sovi haha.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 16 2015 2:36 PM
admin: If you combined all three of my accounts on DDO, I had a total elo of 11,000. Even though I am a better debater on this site, I had a much better record on DDO. Less forfeits.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Apr 16 2015 3:00 PM
RXR.: I'm probably one of the only active members here that HASN'T come from DDO, although I did make an account there for last year's WODC.
I got frustrated with pointless arguing on facebook and figured there must be an online outlet for people who want intelligent objective debate on a range of topics that interest me. I typed in "Online Debate" into the google tron and found DDO.
It looked cool and I cruised around there a bit and found a couple of debates by Larztheloser (Admin) arguing that NZ should disband their military. Being from NZ I thought that was pretty funny and so I checked out his profile to see if anyone had actually ever completed a debate with him on that topic. (They hadn't)
From there I discovered that he had recently started Edeb8.

Since I liked the fact he was a kiwi, and I thought his debates had sounded the most interesting I checked it out.

Being a smaller site attracted me, but the reason I chose this site over DDO was because it didn't seem to have so many people intent on simply shouting their opinions at each other.
There were also less debates involving Goku.

Since then, (over a year ago) I've lurked around DDO a fair bit, although not a whole lot. From what I've seen I'm completely comfortable with MY choice, but I hold no special grudge against them. I think that the majority of people would rather spend more social time and occasionally shout their opinions on stuff, and DDO caters for that, with its large user base.
They have a lot of people that I'd respect a lot, some of my most enjoyable debates here in Edeb8 have been with guys like CJK and Bsh1 and Wylted, who are prominent members over there. I have a ton of time for Whiteflame who spends a bit of time over here.

I think that the people from DDO who really enjoy a robust bit of intelligent sparring on any given topic, would really enjoy the facilities we have here. The small user base here doesn't bother me at all, as I don't crave constant stimulation, and as far as debates go, I FAR prefer all the formatting options we have here - so I'm content to wait for those rare occasions when some of the better debaters from there drift over here.
Thumbs up from:
1harderthanyouthink
By 1harderthanyouthink | Apr 18 2015 4:04 PM
Guys, RXR is the most annoying troll I've seen in a while. I actually suggest, for the sake of the enjoyment of your site, that you ban this guy immediately.

He made several accounts, took real debates on an account called "drakethejewishlawyer" and posted 4 or so rap lines on each of them and then made callout threads about the people he was up against.

Max sent him several messages. He's full of crap. He'll make your site much worse as long as he's here.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 18 2015 4:39 PM
1harderthanyouthink: This bullshit again? You do not hang out here, and you have no intention of doing so. This isn't about the sake of our enjoyment, but denying Falafa from enjoying Edeb8 because a bunch of children on DDO don't like him. Go away! No one here cares for another DDO troll telling us to ban users who haven't done anything.
admin
By admin | Apr 18 2015 4:53 PM
Blackflag: "Go away!" isn't the nicest thing to say here. It's his opinion, he's entitled to it.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Apr 18 2015 4:55 PM
1harderthanyouthink: I don't believe it is fair to judge somebody for their behavior on another website. If he violates our rules, he will be removed. Otherwise, I find this kind of thing totally unfair and counterproductive.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 18 2015 4:59 PM
admin: Yes, you are right. I should treat a person's opinions with a degree of dignity.
Next time I'll tell him that his opinions are totally unfair and counterproductive.
admin
By admin | Apr 18 2015 5:00 PM
Blackflag: "Go away" = attacking the person
"Your opinions are unfair" = attacking their opinions

In case nobody else caught the difference. ;)
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 18 2015 5:09 PM
admin: If "Go Away!" is an opinion I hold, then does that make it an attack?
Assume that I actually care about not offending the one responcible for this childish behavior. He still wouldn't be hang out here either way.

It is like telling greedy solicitors or internet spammers to go away.. At least trolls stick around after getting their way.
admin
By admin | Apr 18 2015 8:52 PM
Blackflag: Of course you can hold an opinion and it can be an attack at the same time. It's not banned per say, but it isn't very nice either, is it? All I'm saying is that we should be friendly to each other around here.
Let's revive the forums!
1harderthanyouthink
By 1harderthanyouthink | Apr 19 2015 11:25 AM
Blackflag: You act as if I have not one ounce of integrity. I assure you that I'm not a troll. I'm giving you guys advice, and if you don't take that - a fair warning about this individual's behavior.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Apr 19 2015 11:28 AM
Blackflag: I can assure you that 1harderthanyouthink is not a troll.
1harderthanyouthink
By 1harderthanyouthink | Apr 19 2015 11:34 AM
Blackflag: Why don't you think about what you said for a minute.

I've taken the time to write a couple sentences on a site I never go on just to tell you about a troll in your midst. He wasn't just banned for,"multi-accounting" on DDO- it was a variety of repeated offenses with several warnings.

Lastly, I find it sad that you reject me solely because I'm from DDO. If you honestly think I'm a troll, why don't you tell Lars to ask Airmax to confirm this person's record of behavior? Or if Airmax of all people isn't good enough (considering who you are), ask literally any sane person on DDO. My warning wasn't made-up, it was a simple statement of facts that I'm just giving you for your use.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 19 2015 11:51 AM
1harderthanyouthink: I do not reject you because you are from DDO. I reject you because a member from DDO comes here and tells us to ban a member on Edeb8 for something he did or didn't do on DDO.
Page: 12Most Recent