EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

New Site Feature: Edeb8 Issues

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Apr 13 2015 10:10 PM
Edeb8 Issues is my attempt at getting people excited about a broader range of debate topics again.

See it in action at http://www.edeb8.com/issues . Still being tested so let me know of any bugs if you find them. Honestly, it's easier to just look at it than it is to explain!

Q & A
What is Edeb8 Issues?
It's a database of who'd rather argue for and against each topic on the site. A lot of people ask me if Edeb8 has something like DDO's "Big Issues". Think of this like DDO's "Big Issues" if you will, except that each topic in the secret topic list is an "issue". At some point in the future I'm going to think about possibly displaying your stance on different issues on your profile, with the option to hide them of course, so that people have a ready set of high quality debate topics they can pick with any given member. With over 250 motions currently in the main edeb8 database there's quite a lot of variety available. Edeb8 issues will currently list who agrees and disagrees with you on each topic so you can debate them!

Why?
Primarily the point of a feature like this is to encourage more debates. You can see at a glance which site users agree or disagree with you on different issues and instantly challenge them to debates. A message reminds you that you don't need to argue the side you personally agree with. This kind of feature naturally more attracts users interested in the competitive side of debating, but can also be a useful springboard for if you're just looking for something to argue.

I made a mistake!
Each issue will only appear once on the page until you've gone through them all. If you've made a mistake, just refresh the page and hit "skip" a bunch of times until your issue comes up again, then click on the right button. Skipping does not affect any earlier responses that you may have.

Any other questions, just let me know! :D Also where do you think I should link to it? Profiles? The "Debate" page? Anyway, have fun as always folks!
Thumbs up from:
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 14 2015 9:03 AM
admin: Put these on profile pages. BTW, we need to start a forum to discuss our disagreement on marijuana legalization.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 14 2015 9:03 AM
What if your Edeb8 issue opinions change? My opinions change a lot, and I know a lot of people on DDO would switch around a lot.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 14 2015 9:05 AM
Okay, final thing. Some of my opinions are more comprehensive than agree or disagree. It would be cool if we could write a comment with our answers.
admin
By admin | Apr 14 2015 9:09 AM
Blackflag: I'm scared of that turning into something more like DDO's Opinions though. People might start arguing there instead of in debates.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Apr 14 2015 9:10 AM
Blackflag: Go to the page and re-answer them. When I add them to profiles it'll be easier to add in a toggle switch or something on issues you've answered as part of that interface.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 14 2015 9:24 AM
admin: Just finished answering every topic
admin
By admin | Apr 14 2015 9:25 AM
Blackflag: Woah, dedicated. Not even I've gone through them all yet! :)
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Apr 17 2015 2:11 PM
In case anyone doesn't notice, you can now flip-flop on positions by going to the new tab on your profile and clicking on the issue you want to change your mind on.
Thumbs up from:
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 17 2015 2:43 PM
admin: Is the Edeb8 issues section going to interfere with adding new random topics in the future?
admin
By admin | Apr 17 2015 2:44 PM
Blackflag: As new topics are added, they'll be added to the issues automatically. They both are drawn from the same list/file.
Let's revive the forums!