EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Respect the Authority!

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
drafterman
By drafterman | Mar 20 2014 5:54 AM
Khaos: "I treat the ability to hear someone speak as a freedom to assemble. Thus, you're protesting is violating my right to associate/assemble, since you are disrupting with your speech the very speech I came to hear."

- But this is nonsensical since it could equally be said that the speech you came to here is disrupting my speech of protest. You've provided no logical or rational basis by which one speech should be *more* protected than another. The only basis you've provided revolves around your own personal desires which is most certainly not a measure by which we should dictate freedoms. You might as well just cut to the chase and say only speech you agree with is allowed.

"Speaker is being heckled throughout the entire speech, guy with megaphone is right next to me, so I cannot hear the speaker. The speaker ignores the megaphone, and continues speaking, at times there is applause, while the megaphone boos. How is my speech not limited, as I cannot react and show my support (or disapproval) due to the actions of the man next to me?"

- Because your speech isn't limit. You are free to respond as you see fit. You *can* react and show your approval or disapproval. Nothing is stopping you from doing that. You can move closer, get your own megaphone. Your failure to assert your right does not translate to someone else infringing it. Yes, you may not hear the speaker. That's unfortunate, but not an infringement upon your rights. Yes, your experience may be ruined. That's unfortunate, but not an infringement upon your rights.

- You're trying to establish rights that don't exist. In a public event, you *don't* have a right to an audience. The audience does not have a right to you. You don't have a right to be heard. You are certainly free to assemble, but if you choose to do so in a public arena, then you must recognize the rights of others to assemble as well, even if that assembly is in protest to yours.
admin
By admin | Mar 20 2014 9:19 AM
Khaos: Basically you're confusing freedom of speech with freedom of discourse.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | May 9 2014 7:42 AM
Khaos: You shouldn't be able to destroy property but you should be able to disagree without being blown up.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
Page: 12Most Recent