EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Catalonia Did It.

< Return to subforum
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Oct 27 2017 4:28 AM
Today, on October 27, 2017, the Parliament of Catalonia, under the leadership of Catalan President Carles Puigdemont, formally declared its independence from Spain.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41780116
The new "Republic of Catalonia" is presently unrecognized by any state, including the Spanish government, which will likely move to seize control over the formerly autonomous region of Spain.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Oct 28 2017 2:24 AM
And...as of today, Puigdemont is no longer the President of Catalonia, or at least not officially. The Spanish central government moved today to sack the Catalan regional government and has imposed what I guess is a less violent form of martial law.
Mharman
By Mharman | Oct 28 2017 3:31 AM
Good for them!
With Liberty and Justice for all!
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Oct 28 2017 4:59 AM
Mharman: Nope, not good for them. Spain won't let it happen.
admin
By admin | Oct 28 2017 8:20 AM
Dassault Papillon: Hey, anyone remember what happened last time Spain had a civil war?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bolshevik-
By Bolshevik- | Oct 28 2017 4:38 PM
Yeah the oppressed people of Catalonia, we all sympathize with them.
Victory: http://www.edeb8.com/forum/Games/828
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Oct 29 2017 5:55 AM
admin: Yeah, they fell under a fascist dictatorship that lasted until the 1970s.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Oct 29 2017 2:23 PM
Well, I do believe it's over: today's massive pro-union demonstration in Barcelona made it clear that even among the Catalan people Puigdemont and his independence agenda do not enjoy cross-partisan support. There will be no Catalan uprising against Spain that has the backing of most of its people, and the pro-independence crowd probably doesn't care enough to make a serious effort to clamor for their independence in the face of such opposition. Revolt would be pretty useless anyway, seeing as how Spain is not a gun society like America and seeing as how such would not have the backing of the military. There's been discussion of Puigdemont fleeing Catalonia at this point to escape criminal conviction by the Spanish government, perhaps to carry on the fight from abroad, but even if this were to happen it's clear that his movement is losing momentum by the day.
So at this point I can't say there's any viable path for de jure or even de facto Catalan Independence, or at least not in the short term.