EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Nationalism vs Regionalism

< Return to subforum
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Aug 28 2016 12:57 PM
In the first century of America's existence, regional loyalties were much stronger than they are now. This did, of course, culminate in the American Civil War, in which the federal government firmly asserted its authority over the states. After that point, with major overseas military victories such as the Spanish-American War and the two World Wars, and with a booming post-war economy, the people became proud to be Americans, much more so than they were proud to be, say, Ohians or Californians.
I predict, however, that if there is a significant enough decline in American power overseas and in living conditions, and if people become disillusioned enough with the Federal Government, there will be a sharp return to regional loyalties. People will once again think of themselves more as Ohians or Californians than as Americans.
Discuss.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Aug 28 2016 1:13 PM
Bump
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 30 2016 6:16 AM
Dassault Papillon: I predict, however, that if there is a significant enough decline in American power overseas and in living conditions, and if people become disillusioned enough with the Federal Government, there will be a sharp return to regional loyalties. People will once again think of themselves more as Ohians or Californians than as Americans.
Possibly. This would lead to more division in the U.S.
Are you saying that military strength and living conditions are what holds American nationalism together?
I believe that possibly the living standards in the U.S. will drop in the future.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Aug 30 2016 10:33 AM
Bi0Hazard: What I'm saying is that they'll believe in the idea of America as long as it is something worth believing in. Whenever it no longer is, their home states will provide a compelling alternative.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Aug 30 2016 10:34 AM
Bi0Hazard: Also, you aren't fooling anyone, lol.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 30 2016 1:59 PM
Dassault Papillon: Also, you aren't fooling anyone, lol.
What do you mean? My username?
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 30 2016 2:15 PM
Regionalism definition: the theory or practice of regional rather than central systems of administration or economic, cultural, or political affiliation. - Google definition
Regionalism is compatible with nationalism, but I know what you mean.
American(state/government/country) nationalism vs Regional(U.S. states) nationalism.
admin
By admin | Aug 30 2016 2:39 PM
Bi0Hazard: I think a more general definition in IR would hold that regionalism usually refers to blocs. For example supporting the TPP would be regionalism above nationalism.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 30 2016 3:03 PM
admin: I think a more general definition in IR would hold that regionalism usually refers to blocs.
Why would you think that?
admin
By admin | Aug 30 2016 6:06 PM
Bi0Hazard: Just generally the way I've heard it used around debate societies and such. It's certainly a less specific word than nationalism.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!