EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

#DemDebate Thread

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Oct 13 2015 11:55 AM
Comments and thoughts on the DemDebate? Here's a great place to put them. :)
"Man is not free unless government is limited" -- Ronald Reagan
Topics: http://tinyurl.com/oh9tm6u
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 13 2015 1:16 PM
I would also like to talk about the Republican primary debate, since I have not watched the democratic primary debate.

Who do you think won that?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 13 2015 1:27 PM
Foreign policy is the greatest issue right now. I am voting for a strong commander in chief who can shut the power vacuums that are opening up throughout the world. Countries are buying or taking influence, and the United States is enabling this.

What I do not want are warmongers, which is why a couple people like Carly Fiorona should not win. I also think all democrats are too weak, except maybe Hillary Clinton, who I hate as a politician in over 100 ways.

Bernie Sanders would probably be a good Democrat president because he will reform a lot of the ways corporations and trade partners are exploiting the economy and interfering with the free markets. He supports raising taxes and increasing social spending, and that does not fly with me.

I think Ben Carson deserves to win this race. Level head on foreign policy, not a lot of history to taint his reputation, and may even lower taxes and social spending.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 13 2015 1:30 PM
Foreign policy was also the greatest talking point in the first republican primary debate.

Turnoffs were when they wanted to increase spending to Israel, repealing the Iran deal, and strongarming, which gains votes but isn't very attractive to reasonable voters.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 13 2015 1:33 PM
Marco Rubio killed on foreign policy issues, so he would get my vote if he had the nomination.
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Oct 14 2015 1:06 AM
Blackflag: You seem to have a view very similar to mine, although I don't think Sanders would be a good fit. FIorina's foreign policy is just asking for war with Russia, or at least straining the relations even more than they already are. There's a difference between exerting and displaying American prowess and facilitating war. Sanders seems to have quite a few (as you mentioned) Democratic views that are doomed to failure, particularly the "living wage." Ben Carson is a great candidate, and should definitely win the nomination and the presidency. As you mentioned, he's level-headed and has a clean past, along with his tax policy and spending. I also appreciate his logical approach to everything. I think it'd be nice to have someone that's NOT a past politician as the POTUS... less scandals. I also really like his views on social issues, but that's strictly personal.
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Oct 14 2015 1:08 AM
Blackflag: Yeah, he's probably the *best* politician in the race, both parties considered. Foreign policy is important, and he has a great plan. Since you seem to be a little libertarian, what do you think of Rand Paul?
admin
By admin | Oct 14 2015 4:11 AM
ColeTrain: My views:

Clinton - solid performance, well rehearsed, a little shaky on rebuttal, 8/10
Sanders - impassioned, direct, occasionally unresponsive, 8/10
Webb - arrogant, alternative, did well to present himself as conservative alternative, 6/10
Chafee - polished message, unable to answer direct questions, made little impact, 4/10
O'Malley - worst overall, message failed to connect, and had no stage presence, 3.5/10
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Oct 14 2015 4:20 AM
Blackflag: I have a two-sided view on this.

If we see debates as a form of political entertainment, then Trump has won this entire thing already. He's hands-down been the most entertaining character in any election I can remember, from any country really, with a serious enough following to ever come out on top in any poll. It's pretty incredible what he's achieved.

If we see debates as competitive communication like I tend to do, I think Rubio and Fiorina are neck-and-neck so far for the strongest performances. Both have had some great lines and the kind of confident delivery that scores points in competitive debate circuits.

Notable people who I think have done particularly poorly in the debates are many, but two standouts for me are Bush and Paul. Christie has been very inconsistent, and Cruz has been pontificating far too much. Candidates like Kasich, Huckabee, and even Carson, have yet to make a seriously strong impression to set them apart from the rest of the field. Carson has the advantage of being an outsider, and from an ethnic minority, but that has yet to come across in the debates.

So a mixed bag of performances really.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Oct 14 2015 4:23 AM
ColeTrain: Ultimately I feel like most people will judge these debates on who a) doesn't screw up in a way that's easy for the media to mock, and b) has a policy that is most appealing to voters. And I think that's part of the tragedy of the modern political process. After all, given these parameters, you have to wonder why you have debates in the first place.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 14 2015 9:58 AM
admin: What about democrats though? Those are all conservative politicians you mentioned, unless you were referring specifically to the republican debates.

Also suprised you thought Marco Rubio and Carly Fiorina were good. They rack up most of their points by taking hardline stances on foreign policy. The only difference being that I see actual common sense with Marco Rubio, whereas Carly Fiorina is way to ambitious and honestly does not have much of an idea what kind of challenges she would be getting into taking the reigns of the US military.

Most party voters are aware of this though.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 14 2015 10:00 AM
If we see debates as a form of political entertainment, then Trump has won this entire thing already. He's hands-down been the most entertaining character in any election I can remember, from any country really, with a serious enough following to ever come out on top in any poll. It's pretty incredible what he's achieved.

Yes, he fell to one of the last in the polls after the first primary.

This is how it goes every time. You have candidates who rack up a large amount of attention, but as soon as you get to real debates, they always get exposed and fall to the back of the pack. The best example of this is always that one libertarian republican who runs each election.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 14 2015 10:04 AM
I think it'd be nice to have someone that's NOT a past politician as the POTUS... less scandals. I also really like his views on social issues, but that's strictly personal.
Thinking the same thing. It is refreshing to have someone in there not previously associated with politics. Very refreshing!

Some people question whether he actually has a realistic chance of winning, attempting to be a second black president and all.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 14 2015 10:05 AM
Since you seem to be a little libertarian, what do you think of Rand Paul?
Don't get me started about Rand Paul; I can't stand that guy!
admin
By admin | Oct 14 2015 11:51 AM
Blackflag: I answered my views on the debate performances of democrats in the post immediately before.

I need to clarify once again that I'm simply scoring them on how *well* they did in the debates specifically, as opposed to what I may think about their policy or degree of common sense (and honestly, policy-wise I have little good to say). Fiorina has adopted a brash style and has come across as well-practiced on every answer she's given. Rubio has a slower, more emotional style that has frequently stolen the spotlight on issues like immigration. Their styles are quite different so its hard to compare, but both are doing well in the debates as far as I can tell.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Oct 14 2015 11:53 AM
Blackflag: I think the great counterpoint is probably Obama.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 14 2015 12:20 PM
admin: Well I was talking about republicans. The democrat nomination is fair game every year.

Noticed that there were only 5 democrat candidates compared to 16 republicans?
admin
By admin | Oct 14 2015 12:51 PM
Blackflag: Yeah, but I think in terms of their debate quality, the two are roughly on par. If anything the larger field of republicans makes it harder to stand out in those debates on particular issues.
Let's revive the forums!
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Oct 15 2015 1:36 AM
Blackflag: Fair enough. :P I guess I thought you might like him. :)
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Oct 15 2015 1:37 AM
Blackflag: Well, he's way different than Obama, and I think that will be enough to sway voters. But yes, it is VERY refreshing! :)
Page: 12Most Recent