EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Saudi Arabia ends military intervention

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 21 2015 8:55 AM
This is predictable. Saudi Arabia was spending an extremely large amount of money bombing Yemen. The intervention was initially welcomed by the International community, but eventually more and more people in the Middle East began speaking out against the intervention after multiple refusals by Hadi to accept a peace agreement. It also became increasingly clear that the strategic bombing campaign was doing nothing to halt Houthis, and that the 200,000 troops they had amassed for an invasion wouldn't be enough to win the war painlessly.Saudi Arabia is destined to have another Shiite nation on its borders after all, which is a shame since this whole conflict negatively impacted their image with many politicians, while it also promoted the image of Iran as just in its policy towards Yemen.

I have no doubt Egypt will also pull out its navy with an end to the Saudi bombing campaign, but the real kicker is that this new decision interferes with the United States plans to send the navy to reinforce the blockade. A lot of US politicians are not happy that the GCC are backing down, because it goes against American interests in the region. Yemen is a haven for AQAP and with Houthis in power, a new bastion for Iran's "Evil Influence." The position of Yemen leaves an unfriendly entity positioned on America's most important and strategic trade routes. There is no doubt that the US will actively try to involve themselves in the negotiations, in hopes they do not favor Houthis to much (despite Houthis holding all the cards)
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 21 2015 8:58 AM
I failed to mention that Saudi Arabia has made the bold statement that while they are pulling out the airforce, they would be willing to use military action to make sure Houthis doesn't take an inch more during the diplomatic negotiations. This is really a tactic to strengthen their position on the negotiating table. To make a demand, you need a bargaining chip, and the only one Saudi Arabia has is the "threat" of intervention.
admin
By admin | Apr 23 2015 3:09 AM
Blackflag: Given all this... how long do you think it'll last? 'Cause this sounds pretty short term to me.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 23 2015 5:48 AM
admin: Saudi Arabia is really adamant about Houthis not attaining political power. Negotiations will likely fail.
Is Saudi Arabia bluffing? I really do not know.