EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Reasonable Iranian Peace Plan Denied by Hadi + GCC

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 18 2015 5:30 PM
Iran proposed a 4 step peace plan earlier this week aimed at ending the conflict in Yemen between Hadi and Houthis, the latter whom is now in control of most of Yemen's cities, farms, and industies, and infrastructure. The Iranian peace plan had four steps that both sides had to agree on.

1. A ceasefire between Hadi and Houthis and a cessation of all GCC military activities
2. Opening borders and lifting the restricted airspace ban and naval blockade for the purpose of humanitarian aid (to be provided by all foreign parties)
3. Formation of a unity government between the Loyalist factions and Houthis tribes.
4. Negotiated talks on a lasting peace to be hosted with assistance from other nations.

I can imagine Houthis not liking this agreement, since Hadi presents no real threat and many of them are under the illusion that taking down Saudi Arabia will be a cakewalk, but Hadi and the GCC rejecting the plan is outright disappointing. An end to all violence, a restoration of trade and prosperity, the return of some former government officials to office sounds like the most reasonable solution to an 11 year civil war, which is on the brink of becoming a massive proxy war between the two big Sunni and Shiite powers in the Middle East.

The GCC wont accept the plan because they have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by eradicating Houthis and putting a new ally in power. The loyalists have everything to lose by rejecting their plan. They are asking for a global conflict to occur on their own soil just because the old corrupt officials want to restore their grip on the country without any opposition. Every faction in Yemen is self motivated. Every citizen has picked a side. It would be one thing if the GCC was the only faction crying against peace, but it seems like everyone in the Middle East is ready to see heads roll in Yemen.

Is a lasting peace without war hopeless or not? Discuss.
admin
By admin | Apr 18 2015 5:46 PM
Blackflag: "You know, we did it first!" - Syria
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 18 2015 6:51 PM
admin: Sorry, don't get the joke. The first to deny a proposed Iranian peace plan?
admin
By admin | Apr 18 2015 6:54 PM
Blackflag: The first among recent civil wars where all sides have routinely denied perfectly reasonable peace proposals.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 18 2015 7:17 PM
admin: Houthis could be pushed into accepting the agreement because it is backed by Iran, an ally they desperately need for survival. Their whole organization is modeled after the Iranian revolution, so by forming a unity government it would be seen by its members as counter-revolutionary. Personally I do not see why any unity government needs to be formed. The old political factions are still in control of the parliament ever since Houthis reinstated the lower house in UN negotiations. Hadi and his supporters should just admit defeat and ask for political asylum and the allowance of loyalist citizens and soldiers to go back to their families with out being persecuted.

If they then want to pursue change in the government, and I highly doubt "Change" is the motivation of the former government officials, then they are free to use the parliament as a platform.
admin
By admin | Apr 18 2015 8:51 PM
Blackflag: with out being persecuted
Pfft... as if that ever happens in the middle east.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 19 2015 8:09 AM
admin: I spent awhile looking for the correct word. What is it called when people of a defeated side in war get to go on with their lives without punishment?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 19 2015 10:23 AM
Here is a military intervention I would support for a change. Helping Guard the Libyan coast and Eastern port towns so refugees can get to safety in Europe without their boats capsizing or being intercepted by armed groups. There has already been about 10,000 people who have nearly died trying to escape the country in the past two years.
admin
By admin | Apr 19 2015 5:38 PM
Blackflag: I agree, but do you think Europe would take them?
Let's revive the forums!
Voice
By Voice | Apr 20 2015 1:29 AM
Blackflag: What is it called when people of a defeated side in war get to go on with their lives without punishment?

I believe the word you are looking for is either "mercy" or "impunity."
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 20 2015 6:51 AM
admin: Italy has passed legislation on taking in refugees from Libya a long time ago.
admin
By admin | Apr 20 2015 1:11 PM
Blackflag: To be fair, that's because Libyan boats keep capsizing, so they don't even need to take that many in. Offering them a protected pathway into Italy would make Italians scared I think.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 20 2015 1:52 PM
admin: Doubt it. Most Libyans are rescued by the Italian navy and brought to Italy as it is.
Libya was a former Italian province, so their is a deeper connection between Italy and Libya, than for example, the United Kingdom and Tunisia.

If you are correct in assuming the Italians are scared of a bunch of refugees, then I hereby declare the right to declare Italy the new France.
admin
By admin | Apr 20 2015 1:53 PM
Blackflag: The trouble with being part of the EU is that once they go to Italy they immediately go to France lol.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 20 2015 2:09 PM
admin: A popular myth. They are more likely to go to Germany, the United Kingdom, and as I am starting to discover, Michigan.

admin
By admin | Apr 20 2015 2:13 PM
Blackflag: Germany's becoming increasingly France-like too. Though to be fair they've been like that since the 60s with all the Turks coming in. Or even earlier if you want to go back to the Third Reich haha. And if you wonder why the conservatives keep winning elections in the UK, I'd say immigration is a big part of the reason policy-wise.

Sometimes I wonder if Italy should go back to being city states again.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 20 2015 2:20 PM
admin: France is a popular myth. The Muslim population per total population is much lower than a lot of western countries. For example, the US has over 4 times the population of France, but 20 times the amount of Muslims. Need I go on?
admin
By admin | Apr 20 2015 2:22 PM
Blackflag: I'm not saying France is flooded by Muslims. I'm saying France THINKS it's flooded by Muslims. Hence when Italy takes on more boat people, France gets mad.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 20 2015 2:23 PM
Blackflag: Okay, ignore that. I had my statistics off by a whole two decimal spots.