EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Why people act malicious on the internet?

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 19 2014 12:49 PM
Here's a post I shared with Admin.
I really wonder why people who strive to be the hero and good guy, act so malicious on the internet. It has always bewildered me. I'm sure the things they say on the internet aren't the best representations of who they aspire to be in real life

Can someone help me out here? It reminds me of Paul's question, "I know sin is wrong, so why can't I stop doing it"? Why do people on the internet act like villains, when you know that's not who they want to be? Furthermore, why do these people act polite and decent in real life, but gain allowance to be incredibly rude and obnoxious on the internet?
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Oct 19 2014 1:08 PM
Blackflag: Keyboard warriors.

People with low self esteem welcome the chance to reinvent themselves on the Internet.
People who are bullied in real life often aspire to be loud, strong and confident and the internet allows this. Unfortunately, often they end up becoming bullies themselves.

There's a perception of far less accountability on the internet as well. Young people especially, don't seem to appreciate that when given the freedom to be anyone, it's ok to just be yourself.

None of this applies to me. I'm just as awesome in real life as I am on here.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 19 2014 1:10 PM
nzlockie: I too feel people are afraid to act themselves. In all aspects of life. I can't tell you how satisfied I am that I stopped giving a damn about what others thought about me. It turns out that you garner more respect from being yourself than imitating others.

nzlockie
By nzlockie | Oct 19 2014 1:11 PM
Blackflag: This is true.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 19 2014 1:13 PM
nzlockie: Respect co-exists with acceptance. If you can't accept who you are than how will others?