EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Happy Sunday in New Zealand and a Epic Realization about Time and Epicness that I have Decided to Share with the Edeb8.com Community

< Return to subforum
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 2 2014 1:45 PM
The other night I was still awake at 2:30 am because I was doing a hangout with some of the debate.org folks. At the same time I was talking to one of the edeb8 people who live in New Zealand and he mentioned he was going to bed because it was 9:30. At that time I realized that people in New Zealand are 19 hours ahead of the people in the PST time zone. How weird.

Does anyone else ever think about how annoying time zones are? Is it weird that I'm just coming to realize how weird but useful time zones are just now?
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
admin
By admin | Aug 2 2014 2:14 PM
Pinkie: I think about this everytime I fixed those time zone bugs.

Who was the edeb8 person from New Zealand? Was it nzlockie?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 2 2014 2:21 PM
admin: That's great! And now every time you see this thread you can think about it.

Yes sir.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 2 2014 2:38 PM
That's some pretty good detective work there admin!

Time zones are the bane of my life! I regularly have Skype meetings with people from round the world and being from little old nz , it's always me that has to do it late at night.
On the other hand, because the majority of my work is in Australia, it means that I can start at 10am and work to 7pm. Which I prefer. This means I have several hours in the morning to sorry out my NZ customers before starting on my Aussie ones.

When I travel to the USA, I arrive 20mins or so before I leave home. That can be fun.
When I was in Samoa a few months ago, I travelled to American Samoa. That's a 45min flight, but you cross the date line. This caused me some real problems booking last minute accommodation as I needed to book a hotel for yesterday. I had to use an American site to do it.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 4 2014 2:45 PM
nzlockie: Lol! Well now there are three NZers to suspect! Except I did say he..

That's so weird! How often do you travel and how do you prepare for having your time zone messed up?
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 4 2014 2:49 PM
Pinkie: I travel a lot. It probably averages every second week, although this year I'm trying to lump them together a bit more. Like next week I'm leaving for a 5 city trip. That would have been 3 trips normally. # efficient
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 5 2014 7:06 AM
nzlockie: Wow that's so epic. When you work do you go see cool places too? Or is it strictly business?
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 5 2014 8:06 AM
Pinkie: Considering most of my travel is to Australia, there really isn't anything cool to see.
Most of the time, im pretty boring. I'll look around a bit if I'm somewhere interesting, but mostly I don't have time for tourist type stuff.
Plus, like I said, it's mostly Australia and that place is pretty lame.
sea_shell
By sea_shell | Aug 5 2014 11:21 AM
Pinkie: He mostly leaves the site seeing and shopping to me. We play to our strengths.
I'm not sure if I trust anyone who doesn't have their face as their profile.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 5 2014 12:53 PM
nzlockie: Australia is that lame? Lol.

Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 5 2014 12:55 PM
sea_shell: I feel like saying, "aw, that's the cutest thing ever." But I think that might get a little old.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 5 2014 2:33 PM
Pinkie: It REALLY is. You would probably get a kick out of it, since I doubt there are tons of Parrots and Kangaroos hanging out in Washington - but after about a week of that, there's really not much else to see.
Australia is almost the size of the continental USA, except in all of that space, there's really only a couple of different landscapes. This next trip is going to see me driving a fair bit way up the top end. That is going to be some BORING driving. The only thing that breaks it up is when the Kangaroos jump out in front of you. Which happens often.
Plus the people are idiots and you have to speak really slowly and use lots of hand gestures.