EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

A Question for the Atheists and Agnostics

< Return to subforum
Page: 1234Most Recent
drafterman
By drafterman | May 15 2014 12:31 AM
Bullish: Hi there. Saw your messages on DDO. Wholeheartedly agree.
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | May 15 2014 1:31 AM
drafterman: If your going to ignore what I'm saying, I'm just going to repeat myself. But then again you are probably incapable of responding to what i said because you did not address it all.

"I also believe human beings are irrational and that is why humanity is able to adapt, evolve, and progress. So that is a good thing, not bad. If human beings were like a computer and had central functions which were set definitely with consistency, human beings would still be stuck in paleolithic societies limited to core functions which would be unchangeable. Many studies in neuroscience on cognitive behavior support the idea that human beings are irrational creatures due to inconsistencies. I don't accept your views on "irrationality."

It is humorous how people throw around terms without any standards to associate said term. The good ol' English language allows too much room for this nonsense.

"I also think you may be confusing ethics and morality. Although I am not quite sure because you mentioned "code," as in the practice of morals."
"Don't respond to my posts. Don't read my debates. Don't read my messages. Thanks for reading this message. " A Quote from Tophatdoc
drafterman
By drafterman | May 15 2014 2:07 AM
Tophatdoc: "Atheism, does not state whether the bug or the human being has value regardless."

Becoming an atheist doesn't mean not having a belief system, or morals. It just means that those come from other sources. So it's irrational and short sighted to say that atheists are dangerous because they cannot morally distinguish between a bug and a human. It just means that whatever moral code they have, it's not derived from religion.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jul 29 2014 9:30 AM
drafterman: Where do moral codes come from?
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
drafterman
By drafterman | Jul 30 2014 4:18 AM
Pinkie: They're taught.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jul 30 2014 6:18 AM
I totally know what her next post is going to be...
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jul 31 2014 6:52 PM
drafterman: Who taught them?
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jul 31 2014 6:56 PM
Pinkie: Called it.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jul 31 2014 7:16 PM
nzlockie: Shh.
drafterman
By drafterman | Aug 1 2014 12:37 AM
Pinkie: People. Who else?
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 1 2014 12:47 AM
("What people". Say, "what people".)
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 1 2014 2:04 AM
drafterman: And who taught the first people?
drafterman
By drafterman | Aug 1 2014 3:07 AM
Pinkie: What "first people?" I'm an atheist. I don't believe people just *poof* appeared out of dirt.
ArcTimes
By ArcTimes | Aug 1 2014 9:18 AM
Pinkie: Reasoning. We need empathy and reason and we have morality. We need reason and morals to make rights, and need rights, context, and reason to make laws.

It's more complex than that, but that's the summary lol.
So the first humans to have morals are probably the ones that started to reason constantly. Those that were intelligent enough to make decisions about the others and not just themselves. So yes, drafterman is right, morals are taught and it's really weird to answer about "first people". Who are those first people? We don't have documentation about these lol. HUman history starts with writing because that's the best documentation we have, but morals are older than that
Page: 1234Most Recent