EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Fix my computer

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Mar 21 2014 4:38 PM
OK nerds... help me out here!

For the past week or so some of my programs on my Windows 7 have been randomly freezing from time to time, some (ie Skype) more often than others (ie Chrome), typically recovering about 15secs later. More recently, the whole computer has been freezing like that, preventing me from using any hardware at all for that time. And sometimes it doesn't recover at all.

Two points of interest. If I play a movie, the movie will sometimes go out of sync with the audio during a freeze, the encoders for video and audio sending back the signals in short bursts independently until they converge a little later. Also, recently, my computer has failed to notice my operating system a couple of times at start up.

I've checked for memory issues, malware, and voltage/temp etc issues. What should I check next?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 21 2014 4:49 PM
admin: A new computer?
admin
By admin | Mar 21 2014 4:52 PM
nzlockie: In it's current configuration it's about 5 years old. But typically I don't let my computers die that fast. By the looks of it, it seems like something specific is failing. I just hope not the motherboard.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 21 2014 4:55 PM
admin: Oops, posted that one early.

Seriously, I'd be thinking the same as you, Memory Issues - Malware/Program files that don't get shut down when the program does - and power supply.

Failing that, these days I tend to just start shopping. I don't expect my computers to last more than a couple years these days.

I've had issues with Skype before where it would leave a program file running in the background. The only way to shut it down was to do so from the Task Manager. It was annoying. Every now and then it would start a new copy of this file running. Have 10 or so of those running and they might slow things down a bit.
Maybe just try leaving half the background programs off for a while and see if it makes a difference? Turn them on one by one and see which one makes the lag?
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 21 2014 4:56 PM
admin: Windows 8 is probably another incentive to try to get this one working properly again. It sure does suck.
admin
By admin | Mar 21 2014 6:03 PM
Just discovered about 30 gigs of error logs here ... deleting these has actually improved my computer performance massively.
Let's revive the forums!
drafterman
By drafterman | Mar 22 2014 4:22 AM
admin: http://securityreactions.tumblr.com/post/80268613398/when-a-friend-asks-me-to-clean-their-computer
admin
By admin | Mar 22 2014 11:50 AM
Yip, seems to have been those error logs. No idea why logged errors would do that to me.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 22 2014 3:35 PM
drafterman: Haha, yeah...
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.