EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Lessons From Debating

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
admin
By admin | Feb 23 2017 3:49 PM
Check out this awesome article: https://medium.com/speak-up-schools/5-lessons-i-learnt-from-debating-at-high-school-2391b434f632

What lessons or skills have you learnt from debating?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Feb 23 2017 3:50 PM
admin: Also, really cool to see the growth of the debating circuit in Tunisia! Good on Tunisia for fostering critical, free dialogue! :D
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Feb 23 2017 4:24 PM
admin: What lessons or skills have you learnt from debating?
That debating is a terrible way to discuss important issues.
admin
By admin | Feb 23 2017 4:26 PM
Bi0Hazard: Care to elaborate on that?
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Feb 23 2017 4:33 PM
admin: Debating is about pushing conflicting views on positions and trying to take down the opposition. There is no "considering" the other side, it is do what you can to perform best.
admin
By admin | Feb 23 2017 5:13 PM
Bi0Hazard: I think one of the skills of debating is listening to alternative points of view and not necessarily arguing what you personally believe.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Feb 23 2017 7:13 PM
admin: That still supports what I am saying.
admin
By admin | Feb 23 2017 7:24 PM
Bi0Hazard: Isn't that a form of consideration?
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Feb 23 2017 7:28 PM
admin: Not in debating format.
admin
By admin | Feb 23 2017 7:45 PM
Bi0Hazard: Personally I'd disagree. I think having to argue things from points of view I strongly disagree with, in teams with highly divergent views, has opened me up to both being less judgemental and more open to considering alternative viewpoints. In the debate itself, being able to listen and accurately understand the opposing argument is a critical and foundational skill to refuting an argument. So I think it's a good way to discuss issues, because it means all sides have a more holistic picture of the issue.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Feb 23 2017 7:52 PM
admin: There are alternatives that do not require doing what you can to attack the other side (remember, you cannot admit your entire case is wrong in a debate). It doesn't matter if you truly believe in the topic, your goal is refutation.
In the debate itself, being able to listen and accurately understand the opposing argument is a critical and foundational skill to refuting an argument.
Sometimes, discussing issues isn't about attempting to refute an argument, and I would rather leave that way of it.
admin
By admin | Feb 23 2017 9:09 PM
Bi0Hazard: That depends if your intention is to find the "truth" of the issue, vs see the issue in a new way. I don't believe in truth so maybe that's the crux of the issue.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Feb 24 2017 7:30 AM
admin: I don't believe in truth so maybe that's the crux of the issue.
No objective truths?
admin
By admin | Feb 24 2017 10:25 AM
Bi0Hazard: Right. So like on a debate about gay marriage I don't think one side is right or the other wrong. In a debate you have to consider both sides.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Feb 24 2017 12:46 PM
admin: Which is exactly what debating is, defending your side at all costs (even if you don't necessarily accept it personally yourself).
Wylted
By Wylted | Feb 27 2017 5:05 AM
Defending your side well, particularly when you disagree with it, involves heavily researching both sides, which makes you more informed. I have learned a tiny bit by debating, .
Krazy
By Krazy | Feb 28 2017 1:02 PM
admin: I don't believe in truth
Is that true?
admin
By admin | Feb 28 2017 2:48 PM
Krazy: To me, yes. To you, that's your call.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 1 2017 4:21 PM
admin: All truth is relative.
Krazy
By Krazy | Mar 4 2017 2:44 AM
admin: You sound like a mentally unstable person wearing a straightjacket in a white padded room.
Page: 12Most Recent