EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

< Return to subforum
Page: 123Most Recent
ADreamOfLiberty
By ADreamOfLiberty | Mar 21 2014 5:05 AM
nzlockie: Begging the question, what possible reason would you need to know which genital organs a poster had? The only reason I like to see gender displayed easily is so I can know which pronoun to use. Some people are offended by assuming they are males.

Therefore I would say keep male female as options, and if they select "other' let them define a pronoun that will be displayed where gender normally is.

If you think someone's sex organs are actually relevant to discussion, I would suggest sexual orientation would be a more poignant filed to fill out, and that's pretty damn complicated.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 21 2014 6:43 AM
kbub: Well, not "preferred pronouns" because the preferred pronoun for me would be, "The Princess of the Whole World" but alas, no one would ever call me that. :P
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
ADreamOfLiberty
By ADreamOfLiberty | Mar 21 2014 10:55 AM
Pinkie: I don't know, I might; but that's a proper noun.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 21 2014 12:28 PM
ADreamOfLiberty: Oh true.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 21 2014 12:32 PM
ADreamOfLiberty: Oh true.
kbub
By kbub | Mar 23 2014 2:19 PM
nzlockie: Nothing wrong with neutral--in fact, I think neutral would be great. However, "it" refers to objects, not people, which is offensive. The "other" category, unless a list makes an honest attempt at being exhaustive, is offensive for those reasons you mentioned, but not because it is "neutral" but because it is "other." You seem pretty cool, yo. I appreciate your continued open-mindedness to dialogue.
kbub
By kbub | Mar 23 2014 2:22 PM
nzlockie: [continued from my other reply] I am a fan of "They" though! (Although I should note that I was wrong before--singular "they" still uses plural verbs like "are.")
drafterman
By drafterman | Mar 23 2014 10:59 PM
kbub: If we are going to get into grammatical technicalities, the "plural" verbs are also used when the quantity is unknown or ill defined, which makes sense when used in conjunction with "they" if it can do dual duty as a singular and plural.
kbub
By kbub | Mar 24 2014 4:04 AM
drafterman: Yep.
Romaniii
By Romaniii | Mar 25 2014 9:28 AM
kbub: Mostly, I agree. However, there's one thing I don't understand:
Would a transgendered man (as in someone with a vagina that identifies as a man, for those that would be confused) not just put "man"? Why make the transgendered part specified?
To Lars, I apologize for accidentally reporting every single post before replying to it.
kbub
By kbub | Mar 28 2014 10:02 AM
Romaniii: Some would prefer that, but some like to identify as transgender. Regardless of whether or not they choose to identify that way, however, adding that option affirms that the validity of genders outside the binary and the normalcy of transgender persons. There are only positives to be gained.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 1 2014 3:20 AM
kbub: What are the positives?
Page: 123Most Recent