EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

WODC Round 1 Rest Day

< Return to subforum
Page: 123Most Recent
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 20 2015 10:35 PM
admin: What spam filters did you try it with. Yahoo, Google, Xfinity?
admin
By admin | Jun 20 2015 10:36 PM
Blackflag: Did I try what with specifically?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 20 2015 10:38 PM
admin: Did you try checking emails with the spam filters on major email providers? What spam filters did you actually use.
admin
By admin | Jun 20 2015 10:41 PM
Blackflag: Oh right. Sorry, wasn't clear.

I checked with yahoo, spamassassin, a blank gmail and my own gmail. Results for all four were variable, yahoo was clearly the worst though.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 20 2015 10:43 PM
admin: One of the problems I saw with the latest email is that it uses a lot of all-caps words,but that doesn't tell me much because all your other emails don't have that. It is probably something specifically that you are doing that is setting off the spam filter, and I am trying to get to the bottom of it.
admin
By admin | Jun 20 2015 10:46 PM
Blackflag: Feel free to send me the headers of the message in question.

In gmail, you can get that from the random top-right dropdown menu thingymajig, then clicking "Show Original". Send it to me as a message.

But like I keep trying to tell you, it won't show you anything, because the reason for the rejection is their mail filter screwing up. It's either with authentication, in which case the headers will have the answer, or with content, in which case gmail tells you so (ie message sent to spam because it contains words often used by spammers, or something like that)
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 20 2015 11:34 PM
admin: Oi Admin, you're not alone mate. I understand.

Jeez you'd think the next thing is they're going to want you to answer the email as well.
Legit emails get spammed all the time, it's not hard to sort it out, especially since you actually tell them that you've just sent one...
Just ignore it. Haters gonna hate.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 21 2015 10:04 AM
nzlockie: It is actually a big deal if registration/verification emails go to the spam folder.
admin
By admin | Jun 21 2015 10:08 AM
Blackflag: Nobody is saying it's not. All I'm saying is that I can't do anything about it.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 21 2015 10:16 AM
admin: The most I could gather from Google support is that the name Edeb8 sets off a trigger that sends it to the spam folder. The reason for this is the 8. Google recognizes the 8 as also meaning ate. It then looks at the characters before it, deb. Google then transmits this as such, D+E+B+A+T+E. Google assumes you are trying to trick people using the 8. This would usually be ignored, if it weren't for the fact that edebate.com is actually a commercial domain.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 21 2015 10:18 AM
This problem should be nonexistent on most other major email services though, considering gmail is the only one with the capability to recognize number and letter combinations as words themselves.
admin
By admin | Jun 21 2015 10:43 AM
Blackflag: Given that the problem is worst on yahoo, I kinda doubt this is the issue.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 21 2015 12:18 PM
admin: What do you mean it's worst on yahoo. Every email goes to spam on gmail. I would say the situation is equally bad on gmail.;
But granted, you do have a point. There could be a platitude of reasons for why it goes through the spam filter. That is just the one I got from google support.
admin
By admin | Jun 21 2015 3:33 PM
Blackflag: It's least likely to be not marked as spam. Gmail marks it sometimes, but not all the time.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 21 2015 7:31 PM
admin: Every email I got from you since the day I joined the site has been filtered as spam. I doubt that I am an exception to the rule.
admin
By admin | Jun 21 2015 8:06 PM
Blackflag: Have you ever marked any of them as either spam or not spam?
Was there any effect when we switched hosts?
Was there an effect when we switched to the email system that has the image at the top?

If the answer to all three of these questions is no, then I think that just about proves my point.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 21 2015 9:21 PM
admin: No it doesn't. It doesn't prove any point. All it proves is that the problem has been consistent since I joined the site. Exactly what I have been trying to tell you.
admin
By admin | Jun 21 2015 9:45 PM
Blackflag: The point is that the messages aren't in any way inherently signalling that they are spam. I'm not doing anything to make them spam. That's proven by the fact that you haven't changed their system, their system has been "consistently" marking yours as spam and not those of some others, and it has been doing it consistently despite completely inconsistent content and headers in this case.
Let's revive the forums!
Page: 123Most Recent