EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

WODC Round 1 Rest Day

< Return to subforum
Page: 123Most Recent
admin
By admin | Jun 18 2015 1:09 PM
Hey y'all! In less than a day, we're going to see round 2 of the WODC kick off.

Thanks to everyone who helped judge the round 1 debates! I'm sure all the debaters appreciated the honest feedback and analysis I see many of you provided.

To recap the action from round 1:
UtherPenguin beat That1User 6 points to 0 on DDO (predicted by NOBODY!)
Wylted beat Lannan13 21 points to 0 on DDO (predicted by 64% of you)
Zaradi beat Stag 3 points to 0 on Edeb8 (predicted by 61% of you)
ShabShoral beat RxR. 8 points to 4 on Edeb8 (predicted by 73% of you)
TheJuniorVarsityNovice beat The Redneck 13 points to 1 on Edeb8 (predicted by 67% of you)

With a bit of backtabbing on the draw, round 2 will have heaps of exciting matchups to come. You can see the full draw on the official site, at http://www.edeb8.com/wodc2015 , and place your odds for who will win each matchup in the round yet to come. Assuming my backtabbing isn't wrong here haha. Top debate next round looks set to be Wylted v Zaradi, which is set to be a classic.

Some close matchups! In about 23 hours the official draw and new topics will be released. As always, good luck.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 18 2015 8:56 PM
It sucks that my debate only got one judgement
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 18 2015 8:56 PM
btw, you can't count judgements made from people apart of the WODC
admin
By admin | Jun 18 2015 9:21 PM
Blackflag: You mean people judging on the same site they're competing on?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 18 2015 10:24 PM
Blackflag: Sorry I was going to vote as well, probably still will but today was busy and I ran out of time.

I'll be honest with you though, the fact that you've basically intimidated whiteflame into not voting, and the harshness with which you've been judging other solid judgements lately didn't exactly make me want to rush out and vote on it.
It just doesn't look like the amount of effort it takes to do a decent judgement is appreciated by you, instead you take it as an opportunity to do the judgement yourself.

The fact is that you're not going to agree with the judge's logic all the time. I think that's kind of the point though... to try and learn how most people on this site judge, what arguments impact them, and then try to build that stuff into your case.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 19 2015 9:48 AM
nzlockie: I didn't intimidate whiteflame into not judging my debate. At any rate I am glad he didn't. It is no secret that I do not like his judgements and question his motivations, but at that, I wasn't putting any resistance to him judging. If I wanted to keep him from judging, I would of blocked him, but ultimately I do not care much for winning or losing. It is just not something I concern myself with.

With that said, the fact that I am impartial to ELO scores and judge ratings should be evidence that I rate judgements according to my true and honest standards, without any other influences affecting the way I rate judgements.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 19 2015 9:48 AM
admin: Pretty much.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 19 2015 10:52 AM
Blackflag: That's what I mean - you tend to judge a judgement based on much you agree with it, rather than how much it conforms to the criteria.

It's frustrating to put a lot of effort into writing a judgement and then have to defend parts of it afterwards. I still do it, but it's just frustrating when it happens every time.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 19 2015 10:53 AM
@Stag - I always want to say, I DO appreciate you. You're a valuable member of this site, so I don't want what I'm saying to come across the wrong way.
I'm only saying it because I feel like we're all mature enough to be open here.
whiteflame
By whiteflame | Jun 19 2015 11:19 AM
Blackflag: Let's be clear on why I didn't vote on your debate. It was not because I knew you'd find fault with it. It's because this would be the third or fourth debate where I had taken the time to read through all of the arguments carefully, sat down and spent a great deal more time hashing through them, only to receive a rating on it (or a message stating what the rating should be) with no explanation of why. I don't learn anything from that, and when I try to engage in a discussion over it through comments, I get bashed for having a big ego and treated as though I'm engaging in harassment. When I try to message you about it, I get blocked for weeks without explanation. Sometimes, I don't even have to message you to get blocked - I've been blocked following a vote I was asked to do. In any of these cases, discussion is shut down, and I don't end up any wiser for the rating. All I get is a slap in the face that you think I should be happy to have. All of this is a form of intimidation, and just because you didn't intimidate me into voting on that particular debate doesn't mean it's not intimidating.

This would all be fine, and wouldn't put me off of voting, if you were someone like RXR who has made it clear that he will treat any vote that is against him as a vote bomb, but you've shown that you're more discerning and careful with your labels. You have a thought process that gets you from reading an RFD to providing a rating, one that is presumably logical. Sometime, I'd like to see it, though by this point you've done so much to antagonize me that I'm not sure I could take any criticism you give me as constructive. We've had some other problems that also make it difficult for me to engage with you peaceably, though I won't provide any specifics there.

I'm not going to spend any more time than this stating what the situation between you and me is in a public forum like this. I didn't want to talk about it at all, but it's been coming up time and again in the forums, and I feel I have to have my say at some point. Might as well be now. I'm sure you'll feel the urge to present your point of view on all this through these forums, and you may do so. I won't respond here because I don't think that discussion belongs here. If you'd like to talk about it in private, I'm good with having that conversation. Otherwise, much as I appreciate the involvement of nzlockie in this, I think it best if we leave this between us and moderation, if that becomes necessary.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 19 2015 2:37 PM
whiteflame: I don't get it. You claim that anonymous ratings don't stop you from judging, but you just claimed the reason you no longer are going to judge my debates is because the ratings you claim have come from me are antagonistic.

It seems like an ego thing to be honest.
whiteflame
By whiteflame | Jun 20 2015 2:55 AM
Blackflag: In each case, you've made your views on my RFDs quite clear. You're continuing to make that clear in forum posts. Even if you didn't actually rate my RFDs, the fact that you always feel the need to display your negative views of them, either in the comments beneath or in the forums as you've done here, is what's irking me. But I can't make you accept what I'm telling you. You can believe I'm honest in what I'm saying, or you can believe I'm lying to cover up some deeper truth. You'll likely believe the latter no matter what I say.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 20 2015 7:06 AM
whiteflame: Stop acting like judge ratings are a personal offense. Sorry to break it to you, but you're not that important. Look at the rating, maybe try to learn something from it, and if you can't then just continue on with your life. You couldn't do that though. You had to start fussing around the site acting like a serious drama queen, simply because your fragile ego cannot handle criticism. Do you think you are entitled to a good judgement? Wouldn't it be more rewarding to keep on judging until your judgement does meet my standards, or would that be to hard for you?

It was a negative but honest rating. Life goes on, mine and yours. Sooner than later people are going to get fed up with your whining. I know I am,
whiteflame
By whiteflame | Jun 20 2015 9:28 AM
Blackflag: It's amazing to me that you want me to both learn from and ignore your ratings. I don't care about my judge score, but I do care about improving. If you're not willing to provide any information on how I can improve beyond stating that my votes are bad, then I won't and literally can't learn anything from it. So I ignore it, and yet every time I come back on this site, I get the same treatment.

I really don't care if you think it's my ego or not. My request for feedback was sincere, believe it or not. I thought, considering that you do place some value in giving feedback through your votes, that you'd afford me that courtesy on my votes. Instead, you've treated my requests as whining, and even harassment.

So I apologize. I thought too much of you in this regard. I hoped for too much. I cared too much about your opinion. For that, I am sorry.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 20 2015 10:59 AM
whiteflame: I want you to learn from my ratings, but I do not require it. If you can't learn to learn, then you are better off living in ingorance. Now please stop acting like a toddler. I am perplexed as to why a grown man would throw such a fit over one honest rating.

So I ignore it, and yet every time I come back on this site, I get the same treatment.

You're basically saying 'I am trying not to let it bother me but it does.' There's a phrase for that. It is called 'you're not actually making an attempt'
If you truly want to prove you can ignore something as harmless as a judgement rating, then stop talking about it. I am sick of you acting like a cry baby about this.

Just shut up for god sakes. Stop saying I don't care but I really do. Enough is enough.
admin
By admin | Jun 20 2015 12:00 PM
Blackflag: Hey Stag, instead of going on about this - ENTER YOUR TOPIC SELECTIONS FOR THE NEXT ROUND OF THE TOURNAMENT.

Come on...
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Jun 20 2015 12:02 PM
Blackflag: If you can't learn to learn, then you are better off living in ingorance.

This is what I was throwing a spat over on the other thread. I really dislike this attitude.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 20 2015 3:26 PM
admin: Your emails always show up in my spam mail. I am pretty sure it was the same situation with my verification email.
admin
By admin | Jun 20 2015 3:27 PM
Blackflag: Then:
1) create a filter so emails from edeb8 don't go to spam, or
2) use your edeb8 email address instead
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 20 2015 3:27 PM
@admin 'Fatal error - no user matching secure token'
Page: 123Most Recent