EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

New Members Survey

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 12 2015 9:15 AM
Please answer these questions, so the site administrator Lars can see your opinions on some of Edeb8's debated issues over the past year. A lot of the disscussion on these died out, or a consensus was reached among the current members and Lars, but I still think they should be left available for discussion.

1. Does Edeb8 need another moderator?

2. Should Edeb8 have advertisements?

3. Should Edeb8 allow voluntary donations from its members?

4. Should members be limited in how many debates they can participate in a month?

5. Should Edeb8 allow troll debates and non-debates such as rap battles?

6. Should Edeb8 incorporate Congressional Debating into our optional formats?

7. Should Edeb8 lower the optional round times to include 15, 30, and 45 minutes?

8. Should Edeb8 have an opinion box that attaches to the judgement panel, allowing a judge to share their personal that do not affect the score of the debate?

9. Should Edeb8 members be allowed to create multiple debating teams?

10. Should there be a shoutbox log that records previous shoutbox history for regular members?

11. Should there be a shoutbox on the debate page?

12. Should blocking members restrict them from viewing posts?

13. Should the name of the site be changed while keeping the Edeb8 domain?

14. Should Edeb8 include more fonts for debate text?

15. Should the Edeb8 coaching interface be redesigned, and in what ways?

16. Should the forums be reduced to only 4 subforums? (Edeb8, Debate Discussion, Community, Other)

17. Should Edeb8 have a zero tolerance policy on trolling?

18. Should Edeb8 have an annual tournament strictly for Edeb8 members?

19. Should Edeb8 have a feature that allows members to create custom tournaments?

20. Should Edeb8 have a scroll down list of countries for "country specific" debates in the debate creator?

21. Should Edeb8 have a "+1" button on forum topics and posts?

22. Should ELO exist on Edeb8?

23. Should members who are trying to enter the site for legitimate purposes through proxies be allowed a custom password to enter the site?

24. Should Edeb8 accommodate a Model UN feature? Where each member can sign up for a country and their countries score goes up with each country vs country debate they win.

25. Should Edeb8 have a community president?

26. Should Edeb8 have a mobile app?

27. Should "Pro" and "Con" be changed to "Affirming Position" and "Opposition Position?"

28. Should the name of the "Comments" section on debates be changed to "Discussion?"

29. Should the minimum characters for a "3" point score on judgements be raised from 400 characters?

30. Should random debate topics be rated by default?

31. Should debate creators have the option of editing their debate before someone accepts?

32. Should judges have the option of selecting more "in-depth" structures for judging?

33. Should forums which do not receive more than 5 posts and become locked be automatically deleted?

34. Should Edeb8 have a coaching round where a debaters coach can provide feedback that shows up inside the debate?

35. Should coaches have some sort of rating system?

36. Should Edeb8 have a poll section outside of groups?

37. Should you be able to create multiple polls on groups?

38. Should Edeb8 have a monthly community debate where every member can add arguments for either side?

39. Should Debates be represented by a picture or icon?

40. Should quick debates allow cross examination?

41. Should you be allowed to attach polls to forum topics?

42. Should Edeb8 have a big issues section?

43. Should debaters who forfeit multiple debates each month be penalized?

44. Should Edeb8 accommodate a thesaurus feature in the debate writer?

45. Should Edeb8 allow a judge rating titled "poor?"

46. Should you be allowed to start a debate with random settings?

47. Should the database randomly generate quick debates?

48. A button next to a subfoum that automatically takes you to the most recent thread?

Feel free to answer as many or as little as you like.
If you have any other suggestions, lars created a feature request forum that is stickied.
( http://www.edeb8.com/forum/EDEB8.com+Site/275/0 )
Thumbs up from:
admin
By admin | Apr 12 2015 9:19 AM
Blackflag: This is indeed a huge list of questions! :)
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 12 2015 9:24 AM
admin: I reviewed almost every feature request starting 12 months a go. Some of the ones that took longer to explain were left out.
admin
By admin | Apr 16 2015 12:26 AM
Bit of a shame. Would have been interested in this.

Maybe it should be a whole site survey lol?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
ButterCatx
By ButterCatx | Apr 16 2015 2:28 AM
Blackflag: would you make a google doc that we can make a copy of then place our answers after the questions.
"I am not wise, I am a joker" - Floki
"A warrior does not show his heart until the axe reveals it." - Floki
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 16 2015 5:48 AM
ButterCatx: Or you could just quote them
ButterCatx
By ButterCatx | Apr 16 2015 6:44 AM
Blackflag: I'm new to the site, how'd you do that?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 16 2015 8:14 AM
ButterCatx: Just use the BB code
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 16 2015 8:16 AM
http://www.edeb8.com/blog/Forum+formatting
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Apr 16 2015 8:18 AM
ButterCatx: Buttercatx, on edeb8, if you copy any text and then paste it, you'll find that the site automatically adds quote tags to it. This will make the pasted text display differently.

There are lots of other bb tags you can use. To see them, just click the "supported formatting" link at the bottom of the text box you're typing in. It'll open a separate window with all of the available options in it.

Enjoy!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Apr 16 2015 8:23 AM
Oh also, it's site convention that we don't copy and paste huge amounts of text like they do on DDO. It makes following a line of thought annoying.
If you hit the "reply to post" button, the person you are replying to will be listed as a live link in your reply. If anyone wants to see what message your replying to, they simply click the link and that particular message will be highlighted. It's fun, you should try it now!
ButterCatx
By ButterCatx | Apr 17 2015 12:29 AM
nzlockie: Thank you
ButterCatx
By ButterCatx | Apr 19 2015 7:18 AM
1. Does Edeb8 need another moderator? It would help make it easier for both mods to run the site, I don't think it is needed as admin does a great job but it would help

2. Should Edeb8 have advertisements? No, it would take away from the experience, but a sponsored debate would be interesting. Maybe some of the money from the sponsor would go to edeb8 and some would go to the debater

3. Should Edeb8 allow voluntary donations from its members? Yes, that way people could assist in making the site better

4. Should members be limited in how many debates they can participate in a month? No, that would just limit people's potential

5. Should Edeb8 allow troll debates and non-debates such as rap battles? Yes, those add a flavor to debate sites that are fun imaginative

6. Should Edeb8 incorporate Congressional Debating into our optional formats? I don't care

7. Should Edeb8 lower the optional round times to include 15, 30, and 45 minutes? It should, speed debates would be fun the participate in as you would have to think on your feet

8. Should Edeb8 have an opinion box that attaches to the judgement panel, allowing a judge to share their personal that do not affect the score of the debate? idc, but it could help in explaining why someone chose on side over the other

9. Should Edeb8 members be allowed to create multiple debating teams? yes, that way people would have more diversity in who they are debating with

10. Should there be a shoutbox log that records previous shoutbox history for regular members? idc

11. Should there be a shoutbox on the debate page? idc

12. Should blocking members restrict them from viewing posts? no, even if they are blocked they should be allowed to follow what is happening on the site

13. Should the name of the site be changed while keeping the Edeb8 domain? no, the name is a little annoying to type but it is easy to remember

14. Should Edeb8 include more fonts for debate text? Yes, it would spruce up debates and make them more fun to read

15. Should the Edeb8 coaching interface be redesigned, and in what ways? the person asking for coaching should put what they want help with

16. Should the forums be reduced to only 4 subforums? (Edeb8, Debate Discussion, Community, Other) no, that would remove many of the fun things that happen on the site

17. Should Edeb8 have a zero tolerance policy on trolling? no, trolling can be funny, it can also be rude and mean, but it should still be allowed to happen even if people need to talk to rude trolls and tell them to stop

18. Should Edeb8 have an annual tournament strictly for Edeb8 members? yes, but maybe not a normal tournament but a giant team debate where half of the people are on one side and half on the other.

19. Should Edeb8 have a feature that allows members to create custom tournaments? yes, that would allow for creative new ideas to be open on the site

20. Should Edeb8 have a scroll down list of countries for "country specific" debates in the debate creator?

21. Should Edeb8 have a "+1" button on forum topics and posts? yes

22. Should ELO exist on Edeb8? yes, it hlp new members tell if they are able to debate a person because of their elo score

23. Should members who are trying to enter the site for legitimate purposes through proxies be allowed a custom password to enter the site? yes

24. Should Edeb8 accommodate a Model UN feature? Where each member can sign up for a country and their countries score goes up with each country vs country debate they win. yes, it would difficult to make but fun to do

25. Should Edeb8 have a community president? yes, it will promote the community suggesting ideas

26. Should Edeb8 have a mobile app? idc

27. Should "Pro" and "Con" be changed to "Affirming Position" and "Opposition Position?" no, that would make it really confusing when everyone else uses pro/con

28. Should the name of the "Comments" section on debates be changed to "Discussion?" no, because most of the posts made there are comments on the debate

29. Should the minimum characters for a "3" point score on judgements be raised from 400 characters? no, if anything it should be lowered, I hate writing and that large character amount really makes me not want to fill it out.

30. Should random debate topics be rated by default? idc

31. Should debate creators have the option of editing their debate before someone accepts? Yes, that way if there is something new that just came out that wil assist their debate they can add it

32. Should judges have the option of selecting more "in-depth" structures for judging? idc

33. Should forums which do not receive more than 5 posts and become locked be automatically deleted? no, because someone might see the forum and get an idea from it or lear something from it

34. Should Edeb8 have a coaching round where a debaters coach can provide feedback that shows up inside the debate? That would be very useful to everyone involved

35. Should coaches have some sort of rating system? yes, if the coach does a good job then their coachee should rate them well or the opposite of that where they can be rated poorly. You could also do it based of the the coachee's rise in elo

36. Should Edeb8 have a poll section outside of groups? yes

37. Should you be able to create multiple polls on groups? yes

38. Should Edeb8 have a monthly community debate where every member can add arguments for either side? yes, that would allow people to see more perspectives to the same problem

39. Should Debates be represented by a picture or icon? idc

40. Should quick debates allow cross examination? if he creator of the debate wants it then yes it should

41. Should you be allowed to attach polls to forum topics? yes

42. Should Edeb8 have a big issues section? yes, it lets the people see all of the sides to each of the current issues that are happening

43. Should debaters who forfeit multiple debates each month be penalized? no, sometimes people just can't keep up with debating, sometimes for personal reasons and they should not be penalized for it

44. Should Edeb8 accommodate a thesaurus feature in the debate writer? That would be useful and allow you to use better vocabulary in your debate

45. Should Edeb8 allow a judge rating titled "poor?" no

46. Should you be allowed to start a debate with random settings? yes, it would make debating more difficult sometimes and add to the challenge

47. Should the database randomly generate quick debates? yes

48. A button next to a subforum that automatically takes you to the most recent thread? yes, then you could see what is happening currently
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 19 2015 8:07 AM
ButterCatx: lol. You need to quote each individual sentence
ButterCatx
By ButterCatx | Apr 19 2015 8:30 AM
Blackflag: sorry, still figuring out the site
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 19 2015 9:29 AM
ButterCatx: It's okay, your answers are still visible. Many of them are pretty intresting as well.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 19 2015 10:16 AM
I'll answer these myself so people can see my current stances

1. Yes. More moderation leads to a better and more maintained site. It also allows a division of responsibilities. One person can monitor the forums and another debates for example.

2. Yes, they will attract members from other sites and increase our userbase.

3. Of course, to help pay for the advertisements I want us to have and things like a mobile app.

4. I do not think so

5. No, troll debates were not what this site was initially built for. There are other sites for that.

6. Yes, they are probably the most intresting debating format.

7. Blitz debates are a lot of fun and do more to simulate real life debates where you have to think on your feet. The long prep time allows for you to write an opening speech and do research before the debate begins.

8. I think so. An opinion box should not have any influence on a judges decision, but it improves the amount of discussion that can be gained from a topic.

9. Definitely. I think this is the one thing admin is most stubborn about (with respect)

10. I could care less, but I know Gendo was once asking about this. Sometimes I scroll through the shoutbox to find a specific comment just to realize it is not there anymore.

11. Yes. Debating is the focus of the site, so one of the most popular features should be the centerpiece of the debate page.

12. Tough one. People will just log out to see another persons post, so it seems kind of useless.

13. Yeah, I do not think Edeb8 is a good brand name for the site, but there is no reason to scrap the domain either.

14. Why not?

16. Definitely. We have groups for personalized discussion. Narrowing the focus to debate subforums and community subforums will show that the site has more focus and will likely attract even more members. Confusing a sites purpose can turn people away.

17. Yes. Trolling is not what this site is about, so why should it be accomadated?

18. Yeah, the WODC is awesome, but it fundamentally fails do to requiring multiple sites. It is meant to attract people to Edeb8, but wouldn't a tournament exclusive to Edeb8 be better?

19. Yes

20. Absolutely. Debates regarding country specific policy are fun, and it would not be hard to associate a flag icon with a debate.

21. No, but it should have something similar which I'll get into another time.

22. No. See this thread ( http://www.edeb8.com/forum/EDEB8.com+Site/976 )

23. ADOL was not able to access the site after a mischievous user began using proxies. Unlike the mischievous user, ADOL had legitimate reasons for using proxies.

24. Very much so, or something similar. Krit once suggested MUN conferences.

25. No, it is pretty silly and admin listens to the community without the assistance of a representative on our behalf

26. It is something I could live without, but it would appease other users

27. Yeah, it is more in line without modern debate terminology

28. Absolutely. Discussion allows for both comments and discourse on the topic and arguments that were made

29. I would compromise for 500-600 characters

30. No, but the chances of a rated topic appearing should be higher

31. Admin said there was a problem with this, but I still would like to see it

32. Yes

33. They clog up the site otherwise. If an old forum had good potential, it should be recreated

34. It would be productive and fun

35. Sure. The question is whether their rating comes solely from the people they are training or not

36. No, Edeb8 is not a poll site

37. Yes

38. I would like to see that so bad

39. Admin liked the idea but I guess he never got around to implementing it

40. Definitely. They should only allow a certain number of questions though

41. Yes

42. (Feature Implemented)

43. Yes, even though I am guilty myself. The only penalty should be restrictions on starting debates, like how many you can participate in for the duration of the penalization

44. Why not?

45. Yes, but we need to make it clear that a "poor" judgement is not one in which you disagree with

46. Yes

47. Yes

48. Yes
1harderthanyouthink
By 1harderthanyouthink | Apr 19 2015 1:38 PM
1. Considering the userbase size, no - unless Lars is too busy to do it on his own.
2. If this is supposed to mean making advertisements for the site - yes. If it means putting commercial ads on edeb8 - no.
3. Um...obviously...
4. No
5. No
6. Absolutely
7. Yes
8. No, if a judge is even thinking about personal opinion it may influence the vote.
9. No opinion.
10. Yes
11. Yes
12. No
13. Why? I don't see the point to changing the name.
14. No. I hate reading debates on DDO where people use entirely different fonts. It hurts my eyes.
15. No opinion.
16. No opinion.
17. If it is harmful to the site - yes.
18. No opinion.
19. No opinion.
20. Yes. A huge problem with DDO is that debates generally assume that the topic is about US policy.
21. No opinion.
22. No opinion.

I'll continue later.
ButterCatx
By ButterCatx | Apr 20 2015 12:40 AM
Blackflag: Thank you
Teaistooshort
By Teaistooshort | May 24 2015 8:58 PM
admin: 1.) No idea how many their are rn.

2.) I think that is a question for the developer(?) if they need money. Users will either help the guy by removing their adblock. Personally I do not really mind.

3.) Sure if people want to give to keep the site afloat and all money donated is in a seperate account dedicated for site exepenses only.

4.) No but maybe like how many they accept successively(?). Like in a chain or something. Can't accept another debate until a day two days or something.

5.) huh?

6.) No clue what that is. It sounds hype tho.

7.) umm idk.

8.) This is actually a whole joke and I'm going to be made fun of?

9.) Umm not sure what you are asking here. I'll say no.

10.) No

I got tired.
Page: 12Most Recent