Rules of the debate
- Text debate
- Individual debate
- 3 rounds
- 8000 characters per round
- No reply speeches
- No cross-examination
- Permissive Judging Standard (notes)
- Forfeiting rounds means forfeiting the debate
- Images allowed
- HTML formatting allowed
- Rated debate
- Time to post: 3 days
- Time to vote: 2 weeks
- Time to prepare: None
From a post in the forums:
1. PRO - define the resolution. Do it first thing in your first round. Define every word, and make it really clear.
Even better, tell me what someone needs to do to win.
2. Both sides: Edeb8 had been set up for formal debate. This isn't a site to express your personal opinion on the resolution. You don't need to actually believe the side your arguing. Your job is simply to make a argument for it.
3. Give me a REASON for your opinion. Don't just say, "I don't think it's a good idea. " Tell me why!
4. Back your reason up with evidence. Factual evidence is good. Objective evidence is better. But honestly, at this stage I'd be happy if you just lied.